Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory report

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

Earlier today I ran Win 10's memory diagnostic due to a problem after upgrading the memory in an Acer laptop, see https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/676241/matching-memory-modules/ for more info.

When the system rebooted the diagnostic popup did not appear. I've looked in the Event Viewer under System for the report but it's not there, is there anywhere else it can be retrieved from? The only entry relating to memory diagnostic in the Event Viewer is one detailing that a diagnostic was set to run.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by duffsparky, 23 April 2018 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

Hi, you can use a wmic cmd to query memory modules, gives a lot of info and will show compatibility, I don't use windows memory tester, it is not good at it's job, use a bootable memtest diagnostic for more accurate testing.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy ALL the cmd below, then right click anywhere in the cmd window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter:-

wmic memorychip get BankLabel, Capacity, Caption, CreationClassName, DataWidth, Description, Devicelocator, FormFactor, HotSwappable, InstallDate, InterleaveDataDepth, InterleavePosition, Manufacturer, MemoryType, Model, Name, OtherIdentifyingInfo, PartNumber, PositionInRow, PoweredOn, Removable, Replaceable, SerialNumber, SKU, Speed, Status, Tag, TotalWidth, TypeDetail, Version /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0

Please post the notepad output here.

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:52 AM

Hi Jenae thanks for the reply.

Please find below the wmic cmd report requested.

BankLabel=Bank 0
Capacity=2147483648
Caption=Physical Memory
CreationClassName=Win32_PhysicalMemory
DataWidth=64
Description=Physical Memory
DeviceLocator=M1
FormFactor=12
HotSwappable=
InstallDate=
InterleaveDataDepth=
InterleavePosition=
Manufacturer=Mfg 0
MemoryType=21
Model=
Name=Physical Memory
OtherIdentifyingInfo=
PartNumber=SODIMM000
PositionInRow=
PoweredOn=
Removable=
Replaceable=
SerialNumber=1234-B0
SKU=
Speed=667
Status=
Tag=Physical Memory 0
TotalWidth=64
TypeDetail=128
Version=

BankLabel=Bank 1
Capacity=2147483648
Caption=Physical Memory
CreationClassName=Win32_PhysicalMemory
DataWidth=64
Description=Physical Memory
DeviceLocator=M2
FormFactor=12
HotSwappable=
InstallDate=
InterleaveDataDepth=
InterleavePosition=
Manufacturer=Mfg 1
MemoryType=21
Model=
Name=Physical Memory
OtherIdentifyingInfo=
PartNumber=SODIMM001
PositionInRow=
PoweredOn=
Removable=
Replaceable=
SerialNumber=1234-B1
SKU=
Speed=667
Status=
Tag=Physical Memory 1
TotalWidth=64
TypeDetail=128
Version=

#4 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:02 AM

I've just checked the Properties under 'This PC' and it reports installed memory  4Gb (2.99 usable), Please see attached screenshot.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5920-5A2G25Mi

Attached Files

#5 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

After doing some research I came across using Task Manager to look at the memory, although it doesn't really mean much to me.

However, one thing I've noticed in Task Manager -> Performance-> Memory -> Open Resource Monitor is that the Hardware Reserved when 4GB of memory is installed is 1034MB but it is only 10MB when 2Gb is installed, is this reasonable. See screenshots

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users