Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Matching memory modules

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

I've just bought some memory modules from a reputable? Ebay supplier to upgrade an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop. 

The original memory spec was 2 x 1GB of PC 5300, the new memory is  2 X 2Gb PC 6400 (Crucial). I checked before buying that the difference was ok and the Crucial website offers PC6400 for that laptop.

I fitted the memory  but the laptop would not boot beyond a black screen. Changed back to the old memory and the laptop booted up OKish, it has other problems which I'm also trying to address.

When checking the new modules I noticed that one had Micron chips and the other has Elpida chips, the same number of chips on each.

​I refitted one new module and laptop booted up as expected. I swapped the module to the other slot and again it booted up as expected. I then did the same with the other new module(on its own) with the same results.

​I then refitted both new modules and it booted up but very very slowly. I swapped the new modules around in the slots and rebooted. Boot time was quicker but still very slow.

​I took one module out and it booted quicker than with both modules, swapped to the other new module and again it rebooted quicker than with both modules. This suggest the modules do no like working together. Can anyone advise if this is likely, Crucial say it's unlikely?

​ Crucial suggest running Windows Memory Diagnostic, which I'm gonna do as soon as I've posted this topic.

​Edit: Just checked, I ordered PC2 5300 but Crucial suggest the PC2 6400 I've received should be fine

Edited by duffsparky, 23 April 2018 - 09:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

Probably just random compatibility problem. Solution is to change module(s) or laptop. Those memory compatibility problems are usually random and quite frustrating.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

IMO contact the seller, he should be willing to send you two replacement modules.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

The seller exchanged the memory modules and all seems better, however the laptop is performing oddly in other ways but I'll start a new topic for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users