Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop extremely loud and battery depletes within an hour

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chronicoco

chronicoco

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

Hi there,

After my recent update to Windows 10 a couple days back, my laptop has had the issue of being slow, loud, and when unplugged, the battery depletes within the hour even with battery saving at 0 percent performance on.  I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it may also have to do with the fact I left it for two days overnight as well.

I own an Asus K501U with an i7 processor, GTX 950m, 8 GB of ram, and a terabyte of external memory.

Can anyone help me out, I'd be super appreciative.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

It sounds like the battery was discharged completely and your adaptor isn't able to recharge it properly. If it isn't a new battery, a new battery is recommended. If it is new it may be under warranty and replaceable.

The loud part needs more details. What's loud, has it always been loud, if not, when did it start being loud? Have you gone into the control panel and made any changes to the power / performance settings? If so, what changes have you made?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 chronicoco

chronicoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:17 AM

Hi Dicke,

It sounds like it may be the fan that's running quite loud.  I haven't made any changes to the control panel, it just happened right after the update to Windows 10.  It's worth noting that I had this same issue with my laptop a while back in terms of the loud fan and depleting battery but after a few weeks, it returned to normal.  At the moment, as I need my laptop for university work, I was wondering if you'd have an alternative solution as opposed to waiting it out.

And I'll check in to the replacement battery, thanks.

#4 abbeyslinger

abbeyslinger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:41 AM

Try cleaning the fan (search YT for videos) and for now keep your windows updated 

#5 limer

limer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:36 AM

Through my experience this is probably a running background process that eats up battery life and elevates the temperature of the laptop so the fan begins and the laptop is becoming loud. Try to see in the task manager if there is a process that elevates the cpu usage so elevating the temperature

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

Anything is possible after a windows update. The task manager suggestion is a good one. If you don't need it turn it off. if in doubt list it here. Make sure all of the fan vents are clear and clean. How long did it take for the battery to recharge after the total discharge?

Dick E

#7 chronicoco

chronicoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hey guys, turns out that it was a process that was draining the CPU.  Thanks for your assistance.  However, the laptop is still loud every now and then so I'll probably see if I can try cleaning the fans a bit.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

if you open the case you may just want to replace the fan. they are not made to run forever :(

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users