Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Gateway Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JShust

JShust

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Hello there,

It's been a long time since I've needed BC's help with a computer issue. About 8 years, according to my content history. I've learned a little more about troubleshooting, research, and just plain safety in the meantime. Anyway, I've finally come up against something that has got me to the point where there is nothing left that I can do on my own. I must seek help, and there's no better community than BC.

So, I've had my ASUS ROG laptop for a little over 2 years now. I love it. I'm a gamer, and have several Steam games as well as my MMO, FFXIV. On top of that, I stream Netflix and HBO Go. I'm also a grad student taking some courses online, using a platform called 2U as well as Blackboard, both involving video conferencing. All of that is to say that I move a heck of a lot of data between my laptop and network.

Speaking of network, I have an ISP-provided Arris modem/router all-in-one unit from TWC. Though, I'm not sure that's the issue, as my laptop is the only one on the network having issues.

So, what is the issue? Well, since about last Autumn, I have been experiencing my WiFi dropping randomly. Some days it happens once in a period of several hours, other days (like today) it happens every few minutes. My go-to fix when it does, is to right-click on my network icon in the tray, and use Windows troubleshooting, which goes through options. It always turns out that the default gateway is unavailable, and resets the network adapter. 

So far, I've checked my adapter's driver, it is up to date. I even tried rolling the update back, and still have the issue. I've rebooted my computer and router several times. I read some possible fixes involving registry settings, but obviously don't want to just be blindly messing around in there. I'll posed an ipconfig/all below. Please let me know what else I can share to better explain my issue/setup. Thanks!

C:\Users\comps>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RedLappy
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-62-66-B7-B6-72
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7C-5C-F8-28-40-6B

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7C-5C-F8-28-40-6A
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2606:a000:fa0c:700:c8c9:2c0c:ca83:71ed(Preferred)
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2606:a000:fa0c:700:7168:a9da:8280:6b0b(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c8c9:2c0c:ca83:71ed%17(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:56:05 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:56:05 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::d605:98ff:fecd:df17%17
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 159145208
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-9D-FD-70-08-62-66-B7-B6-72
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.62
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth PAN HelpText
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7C-5C-F8-28-40-6E

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JShust

JShust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Mods, should this be moved to another section of the forums? I posted here because I feel it is a Win10-specific issue. My wife's laptop is running Win8 and has not experienced the issue. What I've found makes me think it is an issue related to/caused by the FCU, since that aligns with about when I remember the issue starting.

#3 JShust

JShust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

Guess this issue may be beyond fixing. As a work-around, is there a device I can get that would receive a wifi signal from my modem/router combo, and allow me to plug directly into with an Ethernet cable? I see there are things like access points and switches, but I didn't want to just buy something if it won't do what I need it to.

Example: my router/modem is in the kitchen. It was the only spot with a spare cable outlet that was already wired for TWC. I was told when it was installed that they could not run a new line or install a new outlet in the living room, on the other side of the house, which was what I really wanted to happen, even though I own the house. Anyway, now with this issue, I really need to either figure out a fix for the wifi, or use a wired LAN, but still need to be able to work in the living room. So what I was hoping for is a device that would sit in the living room, receive a signal from the kitchen, and allow me to plug the laptop into it to connect to that network, thus basically bypassing the wifi card on my laptop.

Thanks!

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

Your router 192.168.0.1 (dhcp server and gateway) and your laptop 192.168.0.6 are on the same subnet but your dns server (you have 2) is elsewhere (209.18.47.62 , 209.18.47.61).

Are you running a proxy or open vpn?

Can you supply a router log from when a dropped connection occurs?

Regards

Edited by Replicator, 25 April 2018 - 06:57 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

It isn't a fix, but if you can get into the Arris and set the DHCP lease time to something longer - like 24-48 hours - it should make things more stable if the problem is indeed that the gateway is being dropped. Currently it is set to 1 hour, which means your laptop will start requesting a renewal every half hour. If something goes wrong with the negotiation you'll lose your connectivity until negotiation succeeds.

There are wifi client devices (usually called a client bridge) that you can get as well, and many AP's can be configured as clients. The Ubiquiti PicoStation is an example that I use. Be aware, however, that by default these support only a single device on the Ethernet side. This is a design "feature" of 802.11 WiFi protocols. Plugging it into a switch to share the link with multiple devices will result in extreme oddness, as only one device at a time will be able to communicate over the link, and which one is indeterminate. This can be remedied with proper configuration (WDS or "Bridge Mode" on both AP and Station, or any one of a dozen other names for the same function of stacking MAC in MAC over the air). Unfortunately, trying to get this working across devices from different manufacturers can be problematic.

Your DNS on a "foreign" network isn't a problem, it's the way things work in the background, but most modern routers proxy/Cache DNS in the router, so the only DNS address you normally see is the router.

#6 JShust

JShust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I will run a log when I get home, after I experience a drop. Is that just another ipconfig, or is that a different thing?

Also, because this may be helpful for others searching this same issue, last night I purchased a Netgear Powerline 1000 network adapter kit. I instantly had interruption-free connection, but of course lost some mobility using a now-wired connection.

#7 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

Is that just another ipconfig, or is that a different thing?

Access the routers log from Its browser interface......but from what you say, it may well be NIC related.

You have checked the nics power management settings haven't you?

Its not going to sleep?

Have you had interruptions on using the new nic yet?

We all know that whilst Ethernet is sound, its a pain in the a#s over larger distances :)

Edited by Replicator, 26 April 2018 - 10:29 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users