Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Change File Name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Windows 10.  I can't figure this out...

I have a folder with many photos in it and if I open that folder, close it and close the program with which I was accessing the photos, I am unable to change the name of the folder.  I get an error msg stating that I cannot change the name because another program is accessing the file.  This is after I have closed both the program (Paint Shop Pro) and the folder.

What process could be holding this folder open?  I don't use any cloud services so it's not that (unless Windows 10 has new behavior different from earlier Windows version.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

All I can tell you is that I have occasionally experienced this problem not only with Windows 10 but other versions of Windows as well.  It seems that sometimes the lock mechanism on a file is not correctly released when the program that is currently using it closes.

There have been way more times than once that the only thing that released it was shutting down and restarting (and I don't have Fast Startup active, so if I shut down I really shut down).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Another long-standing workaround for when Windows does something weird is to try in Safe Mode, although if a normal reboot resets the behavior, that's redundant.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

When nothing works, programs like Unlocker (or now iObit Unlocker), FileASSASIN and others, can unlock folders or files so you can rename them.

https://alternativeto.net/software/unlocker/

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

Hi, most likely very few people would know about this, back in win 2000 days, we included a small util Openfiles.exe. It has remained with windows ever since (inc win 10).

You need to activate it, open an elevated cmd prompt and at the prompt type:-

openfiles /local on (press enter)

You get a message about the global flags being enabled, and to effect you need to restart your computer (must be restart, not shutdown)

To turn off at cmd run:-

openfiles /local off (press enter) again a restart is needed.

The following are my  cmds for using this util:-

To see all open handles run this cmd:-

openfiles /query /FO LIST > 0 & notepad 0

opens in notepad will be long, however the ctrl + F keys will give you a search option.

To find a single process or file\folder name use:-

openfiles | findstr /i <folder name>  > 0 & notepad 0

EG:-  To find chrome handles:-

openfiles | findstr /i chrome.exe  > 0 & notepad 0

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

Thanks jenae, that's very good to know!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:46 AM

Lock Hunter is also a good tool

https://lockhunter.com

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Also possible that your antivirus is now scanning the files since you renamed the folder it thinks the contents are all new and need to be scanned.

Excel also has an issue if you've got the Preview pane enable in File Explorer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users