Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding HitmanPro.Alert anti-exploit software to lines of defense...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

I am considering adding an active (memory resident) anti-exploit program to my system.  I currently use ESET NOD32 as my only active anti-malware program, which does include some anti-exploit features.  And I feel this has served me well so far, however I think it may be wise to complement NOD32 with a dedicated anti-exploit, as long as it is not too resource hungry and does not conflict with NOD32.

I am interested in HitmanPro.Alert, which I understand now belongs to Sophos.  Then I became aware of Sophos' new enterprise anti-exploit product, Intercept X [aka HitmanPro.Alert for business].  If I understand correctly they are both essentially anti-exploit software.  Intercept X just adds use of artificial intelligence (AI).

Intercept X is targeted at businesses with need of multiple seat licenses, but unless I'm mistaken, there are ways a home user could purchase a single seat license for Intercept X.  The program is administered through Sophos Central, a web based portal.  Not all home users would take to that method, but I don't think it would be a problem for me.  The only downside being that if one lost internet connectivity, one could no longer administer the software.  My internet access has been very reliable, so I am not particularly concerned about that.

My questions are:  how similar are HitmanPro.Alert and Intercept X?  Does HitmanPro.Alert offer protections that aren't available in Intercept X?  Would it be reasonable to use Intercept X in a home environment [assuming one can indeed purchase a single seat license for it]?  What are the advantages of employing AI in anti-malware software?

I know there also used to be Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, which is now incorporated in Malwarebytes 3.0.  And Microsoft EMET which is free, but not compatible with Windows 10 [because Windows 10 has builtin security features that overlap with EMET].

Thanks for any thoughts, information, and advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

See my comments in this topic which includes what ransomware protection I use and a link to an updated list of other ransomware prevention tools.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users