Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Cable Do I Need To Buy For My Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vanch

Vanch

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

I just bought a used monitor (Acer S230HL - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/ET.VS0HP.A02), although it didn't come with a cable to connect it to my graphics card, so I have to now buy a cable.

I am currently using an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 970' graphics card, although I am unsure as to what kind of cable to buy.  The monitor I bought only has a DVI and VGA slot, although I want to use the DVI slot so that I can run it in HD.  My graphics card DOES have a DVI port, although I'm a little confused due to the choices available to me.  There are DVI, DVI-I, DVI-D cables and also Single Link and Dual Link.  I have no idea of the difference between all of these, and just want it to run properly.

Basically, what kind of DVI cable do I need to buy in order to get this particular monitor running properly with my graphics card?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

You need to google up the DVI interface specs.  The different levels of DVI also has differing interface cables supporting the different ports pinouts.  I prefer to run with the primary display on the VGA, it will support HD if the video card is capable.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d

#4 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

Thanks guys, although I've read that link and am still somewhat confused. Apologies, but I'm not that great at this kind of thing and don't want to "think" I know I've bought the correct cable, only for it not to work properly when I get it back home. I have a new job starting tomorrow which requires my monitor to be up and ready, and it's an early start so I'm going to have to run to the store in the morning and buy a cable so that I'm ready. Unfortunately I won't have time to return it if it's the wrong one.

Is there any way you'd be able to tell me exactly which one I need?  On the back of the monitor it just says 'DVI' and the same goes for the graphics card.  They don't say whether it's DVI-I or DVI-D, it just says DVI.  Also, I'm unsure as to whether I'd need a single link or dual link cable.

Edited by Vanch, 22 April 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Unfortunately I won't have time to return it if it's the wrong one.

buy them both.....return the one you don't need at a later date???

take a picture of the DVI connector on the monitor and on your computer GPU.....post them here

#6 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

The back of the monitor and graphics card both have a DVI slot which looks like this:

Untitled.png

Although the back of the graphics card ALSO has a DVI slot which looks like this:

Untitled2.png

Based on this, I'm guessing I'd need a Dual Link DVI-D cable, although looking at the GTX 970 specs sheet, it says:

Untitled22.png

It doesn't have any mention of DVI-D, even though there's a DVI-D slot on the graphics card.  I can take a photo of both the back of the monitor and graphics card if it clears things up for you guys.

Edited by Vanch, 22 April 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:12 PM

are you saying your GPU card has two DVI ports?

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

generally DVI-I is used for older monitors, the big bulky ones (not flat screen)

DVI-D is used for for newer flat screen

#9 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Right, here we go, this should make things clearer.

Back of monitor

Monitor.jpg

Back of Graphics Card

Gfx_Card.jpg

Edited by Vanch, 22 April 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

buy a DVI-D cable and use the bottom connector on the card

#11 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Awesome, thank you very much for your help.  Couple of last things...

1) I'm guessing it'd be 'Dual Link' right?

2) I'm gonna be using a Dual Monitor setup.  One monitor will be using this DVI-D cable, and the other will be using an HDMI cable.  Will this pose a problem or will it work fine?  Can I plug in both the HDMI cable and DVI-D cable to the graphics card, to support dual monitors?

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

Awesome, thank you very much for your help.  Couple of last things...

1) I'm guessing it'd be 'Dual Link' right?

2) I'm gonna be using a Dual Monitor setup.  One monitor will be using this DVI-D cable, and the other will be using an HDMI cable.  Will this pose a problem or will it work fine?  Can I plug in both the HDMI cable and DVI-D cable to the graphics card, to support dual monitors?

1 - yes

2 - yes, i believe that will work

#13 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

Much appreciated.  Enjoy the Psychiatric ward Mikey, haha ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users