Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word Margins

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Touche2

Touche2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

This is my first post, so please excuse me for any missteps and let me know what they are. I didn't see anything like this posted elsewhere on this site.

I use OS Windows 10 Home and my problem concerns Office Home & Student 2016, which I can't seem to get any help for on the Microsoft help site.

I had the Word program installed when I bought the computer in 2017. It worked fine for about 6 months. Then, this started happening: When I'd reopen a document, the preset left and right margins disappeared. The text spread out to the edges of the window. When I start a new document the margins are set where they should be and behave properly up through when I close the document. When I reopen a document, I can force the margins back to 1 inch, but when I reopened the same document yet again, the margins were gone. Inserts in the text, such as wrapped photos, refuse to conform to their normal conventions.

I'm a novice at all things computer, but I tried everything I could think of, obeyed Word instructions as best I can, and took seriously ideas suggested to me by a few others. Nothing seems to work.

I would love, of course, to have the margins behave as they should. Any ideas about what this problem could be and how to fix it?

I did try to reinstall Word at the Microsoft website, but I suppose I could try that again.

I didn't get a service contract, so the retailer won't even talk to me about this. Microsoft seems to almost insist that I buy advice on fixing the problem. I rarely use other parts of Microsoft Office, but they don't seem to have any problems like this.

Again, I'm a rookie when it comes to computers. It would be greatly appreciated if any advice be in basic language.

Thanks for any advice and your patience.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2018 - 09:54 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Bus Apps - Hamluisl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

This is the only idea I have so hopefully other people will post their ideas.

Set the custom margins and make it default as shown in the below guide.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/change-the-default-margins-used-in-new-word-documents/

#3 Touche2

Touche2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for this quick and logical reply to me post. I had tried this before, and it didn't work. I tried it again just now, and again it didn't work. I tried both to create a new default and to return it to the normal default. The margins again go back to the extremes on both sides of the document. I too hope there are more suggestions for this problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Have you reset the Normal Template Microsoft uses? This is the template for initiating all your documents. Perhaps is has become corrupted. I am not sure this will help if you reinstalled Office and got the same problem.

#5 Touche2

Touche2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

This is another fine suggestion. I was unaware of this as a possibility. Unfortunately, I followed the clear step-by-step procedure and it did not solve the problem. Thank you, though.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

This is for word 2003 but see if you can do the same for 2016.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/838674/documents-open-with-no-margins-visible-in-word

#7 Touche2

Touche2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

JohnC_21 -- You're a resourceful helper. You don't know how much I wish your suggestions would work, as common-sense as they are. This time, I wasn't able to get past Step 3. I assume this being Word 2016 vs. Word 2003 accounts for such differences as a "Learning Tool" button vs. the "Tool" button and the fact that the "Learning Tool" button is not clickable (lightface type), even though this instruction was updated just a few days ago. I don't see any "options" or "White space ..." choices. I wonder if there's a similar support suggestion for 2016 Word. How does one find these suggestions? I had looked previously with word search in Microsoft help. I truly appreciate your aid.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

Were I you I would try a repair installation of Word 2016 at this juncture to see what, if anything, that solves.   Or, if you have your product key available you could completely uninstall office and reinstall it.

When these sorts of issues aren't amenable to "the commonly available" solutions such as those JohnC_21 has pointed you to it's often quicker and easier to uninstall/reinstall (or try a repair install, first).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 Touche2

Touche2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Yippee! OK, where do I nominate JohnC_21 and Britechguy as co-winners of the Bleeping Advisor of the Year Award? I did the "Quick Repair," and, for some reason, it worked this time, even though I had done the complete reinstallation 4-6 weeks ago and this same repair installation a week ago. (Although I had heard somewhere that you may have to do reinstallations more than once.) Looking back at some of my documents, the inserts are messed up, but I can fix them. Most important, the margins are behaving the way they should on new documents, and they're back in force on old documents. I can finally get back to work on my large body of stuff that calls for normal margins. Thanks much.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Brian would be the winner on this one.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users