Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot uninstall McAfee LiveSafe from Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ncs22

ncs22

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:54 AM

I am having trouble uninstalling McAfee LiveSafe from my Windows 10 system. When I go to the Control Panel and try to uninstall it from there, I get a message saying something like "navigation to the webpage was cancelled...try to refresh the page." 

Then I read about the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR). McAfee says to try this if the uninstallation through the Control Panel doesn't work. But McAfee says that this MCPR tool "will clean up only the components needed for reinstallation. It is not designed to clean up 100% of components." I want to eliminate all traces of McAfee from my system...should I use the MCPR tool or try some other method?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:12 AM

Use Revo Uninstaller...the portable free one...Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

... I want to eliminate all traces of McAfee from my system...should I use the MCPR tool or try some other method?

Both. Use the MCPR Tool, then follow buddy215' instructions to use Revo.

BTW...sometimes the uninstall from Control Panel works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes in Task Manager) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:08 AM

Thanks..So I used the MCPR first and the McAfee Livesafe is no longer in my Program List. I then tried running Revo but I can't find any reference to McAfee in it since it's no longer in the list of programs...do I need to do anything further to remove all traces of it?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:10 AM

Then you should be good to go unless you wanted to perform a comprehensive search of the entire Windows registry which I don't recommend for those who do not have a full understanding of it.

McAfee came preinstalled on one of my computers and I used the MCPR tool followed by Revo to confirm it was gone.

#6 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

Ok thanks..I guess my only other question is if its okay to just use Windows Defender at this point, or would you recommend installing another 3rd party security software?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

You can do both.

Windows 10 Anniversary update introduced Limited Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender which allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection. See my comments in this topic and in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users