Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Bank Card Scanner, Maybe Fake.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 login123

login123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Normally any unusual activity on my account card triggers an alert within minutes. If no quick response the card is locked.

A couple of weeks ago a card reader at a gas pump behaved very oddly. The scanner acted normally until the third try. Then it showed a screen that said "Your card will not work any more".  Never seen nor heard of a screen response like that.  The usual alert never came. 

The clerks in the store said the scanner acts up pretty often, and the card was probably OK.  And indeed it was possible to make the purchase immediately using the card scanner at the counter.

The account maintainers were informed about the incident.  Also the local police and the store employees. I took lots of pictures of the location, business license, etc, enough to document who what when where etc.  Made the cashiers a bit edgy but they were nice.  :)  

So, Is there a way to know what happened?  Was the card magnetic strip affected, was any important information captured, who got it, what do I need to watch out for, etc. Is there anything I can do beyond notifying everyone and watching the account? 

Thanks much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

You have already done everything that there is to be done, and more than most people would even think to do.

If your account holder is aware of this incident you can be quite certain that they will have a heightened "electronic watch" on your account for unusual activity, and probably for some time.

If you are really uncomfortable and want to go about as far as you can go you can contact the credit reporting agencies in our country (in the USA those are Transunion, Equifax, and Experian) to put freezes on your credit report, which prevents any new accounts being opened since inquiries about your credit record will be rejected for most purposes except for those who already have an established relationship with you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

"The scanner acted normally until the third try"- got me thinking, what about the first two tries? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but there are skimmers that might have caused the strange behavior, hard to say. 
It does sound like you've covered all possible contingencies more than the average person, but will post a recent article about those for awareness:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469560,00.asp
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 login123

login123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

I'll do that. Also the nice tax people. Might not have thought of it. Thanks.

Also will send a letter to the card issuer and make sure we understand each other. I have already talked with the phone reps twice and a local person once, made enough noise (politely) to be sure they would remember.

The reps are very consistent in promising that any unusual charges they see on the account will not be my responsibility.  I asked what about activities they don't see, like this one. It obviously happened (got the pictures, etc), they didn't see it, and nobody knows for sure what happened.  They seemed a bit less clear about that. 

Thanks again.  Will post important developments if I can remember them.

#5 login123

login123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, R.A.D.  Sometimes the reader will fail because the card wasn't manipulated correctly or you type a number wrong. Then the screen says something like ...please reinsert card or please see the cashier etc, . . .Rarely happens, very rarely twice, but it can happen.  But a bright blue screen with white letters, "Your card will not work any more", well, nope. 

Also seems best for a burglar to be very quiet, very normal, etc, so maybe it was just a bad reader, but I'll tell them anyway. 

Edited by login123, 21 April 2018 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users