Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not initialize HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheZenithSerene

TheZenithSerene

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

Hello, this is my first post on this site, usually I can find an issue someone else was having but I cannot seem to find one quite like this.

As stated in the title, I am unable to initialize my "new" HDD, with both MBR and GPT partition styles throwing errors. MBR being a "The system cannot find the file specified" error and GPT being "the specified disk is not convertible because size is less than minimum size required for GPT disks" error.

I have tried many different partition programs, some which see the drive but can not initialize it, and others that do not see the drive at all.

I know the disk has no issues because other computers can see and use it just fine.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

There are partitions currently on the disk?

This disk will be a data disk or a OS disk?

What size is the disk?

What is the make and model of the computer? What OS?

#3 TheZenithSerene

TheZenithSerene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

There are partitions currently on the disk?

This disk will be a data disk or a OS disk?

What size is the disk?

What is the make and model of the computer? What OS?

The disk is currently partitioned

it was an OS disk for my older Windows XP desktop

it is 250 GB

it is a Western Digital Caviar SE: WD2500AAJS

Windows 10

ASRock motherboard

AMD Ryzen3

I would like it to be a data disk, and I don't care about anything that is on it. I want to use it as a backup.

however, if it would just be more convenient to buy a 1TB HDD from Walmart, I could do that instead.

Edited by TheZenithSerene, 21 April 2018 - 08:35 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X > command prompt as admin. It could be called powershell. Type the following commands.

diskpart               Opens the diskpart command window

list disk                Make a note of the disk number associated with the 250gb WD

select disk X       Where X is the number associated with the 250gb WD. Make sure you have the correct number. The next command wipes the disk

clean                    This will wipe the partitions on the drive

convert MBR       Initializes the disk as a MBR disk. If you get an error ignore it.

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit    exits diskpart

exit    exits command or powershell prompt

Is the drive now detected by Windows?

#5 TheZenithSerene

TheZenithSerene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X > command prompt as admin. It could be called powershell. Type the following commands.

diskpart               Opens the diskpart command window

list disk                Make a note of the disk number associated with the 250gb WD

select disk X       Where X is the number associated with the 250gb WD. Make sure you have the correct number. The next command wipes the disk

clean                    This will wipe the partitions on the drive

convert MBR       Initializes the disk as a MBR disk. If you get an error ignore it.

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit    exits diskpart

exit    exits command or powershell prompt

Is the drive now detected by Windows?

Unfortunately, that did not work

errors were thrown when typing the commands "convert MBR" and "create partition primary"

"the system cannot find the file specified."

when typing "format fs=ntfs quick," and "assign," I got this message

"there is no volume selected

please select a volume and try again."

I should also note that it appears in disk management as "unknown," and "Not Initialized."

it does not show the size of the disk either.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

If you cannot initialize the drive by right clicking in Disk Management that can indicate a dead drive. Have you tried a new SATA data cable and port on the motherboard?

#7 TheZenithSerene

TheZenithSerene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

If you cannot initialize the drive by right clicking in Disk Management that can indicate a dead drive. Have you tried a new SATA data cable and port on the motherboard?

Like I said, I can use the drive on other devices, so the disk is fine. I've tried different ports and cables, they all see the drive, but cannot read it.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

I never came across this problem other than a drive showing up as not initialized and unable to initialize it in Disk Management. I don't understand why the drive can show up on other device but errors on on this motherboard. Have you tried using a boot disk of a Partition Manager like Gparted. This would take it completely out of Windows.

See my post below. In Gparted you want to create a new MSdos (MBR) partition table then a new primary partition formatted NTFS. The disk is based on linux so if you get errors with it then I think there is some incompatibility between your WD and the motherboard.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/675513/force-formatting-a-corrupt-wd-external-hdd-which-causes-file-explorer-to-freeze/?p=4482199

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users