Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard-Disk Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dottoRe

dottoRe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hi guys,

recently I've been having problems with my hard drive. Usually I solve my problems by myself but this time I need some help.

So what it happens is that suddenly all my files on the hard drive (which is not the boot drive) dissapear. But the folders stay in place, still there, but empty. If I shut down my computer and leave it a while the files come back, sometimes just a part of them, sometimes all of them. Funny thing is that when all the folders are empty the occupied space on the HD is the same when they are visible.

Also my brother told me that he got kicked from a game several times because the files suddenly disseapear like I said.

I don't know...this seems very odd and my questions are : 

1. How do I determine if this is a hardware (also the SATA-cable ?) or a software problem ?

2. What programs should I use ?

3. Should I reinstall Windows ? Can be a virus the cause (although I have an antivirus up to date)

I'm open to all solutions and I wait for your answers.

Thanks.

Edited by dottoRe, 22 April 2018 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

Sounds like a problem indeed, got any backup media?

I will let you load your speccy data then we can move on to see if this is a hardware issue.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 April 2018 - 02:51 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

Look I get that you're a mod here and see a lot of things everyday, but honestly knowing what ram I have or what CPU  won't give you any clue about anything Imho. I think I put the problem right in the first place and my questions were pretty specific. If you want to follow the rules and make me do useless stuff, fine, I'll know where to ask next time when I need a fast answer.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

No you misunderstand, the software he linked will help us see what you have so we can advise you.

Speccy does have hard disk drive analysis and the event viewer will tell us if you have anything odd going on, if you have a virus or malware that log is vital.

But hey if you want a fast answer then fine this software will help us know your hard disk and if its at fault:

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

You will still have to install a third party software here, we are not psychic.

The only thing we can do is direct you to software, we are not hands on technicians here so we have to asses what we can.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 April 2018 - 03:05 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Sounds like a problem indeed, got any backup media?

I will let you load your speccy data then we can move on to see if this is a hardware issue.

I think I will order another HDD, because I've run some tests and got at 5% (of completing the test) around 60.000 bad sectors. I got worried because that's a huge number and after I checked the files were gone again. As I'm writing this they are again on HD, so yeah...I think it's time for a change.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

Well that right there tells me that the hard drive was on its way out 60.000 bad sectors yikes 0.o

Again do give us whatever info you can about your machine when possible, it helps us out assess your hardware in the future.

I know you wanted more immediate results but sometimes we need information to help you out.

We are not here it infest your computer with malware nor get sensitive data bout you.

Most of us here are there to help if possible.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:11 PM

No you misunderstand, the software he linked will help us see what you have so we can advise you.

Speccy does have hard disk drive analysis and the event viewer will tell us if you have anything odd going on, if you have a virus or malware that log is vital.

But hey if you want a fast answer then fine this software will help us know your hard disk and if its at fault:

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

You will still have to install a third party software here, we are not psychic.

The only thing we can do is direct you to software, we are not hands on technicians here so we have to asses what we can.

On that low res pic which he showed there are only the names of the componets listed. That's why I found it useless.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

Yeah dont judge the software on that, that was an example pic.

Speccy in its real form is far more useful trust me.

It can give you information about your processor, motherboard, memory, hard disks, OS version far better than the windows control center version.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

Well that right there tells me that the hard drive was on its way out 60.000 bad sectors yikes 0.o

Again do give us whatever info you can about your machine when possible, it helps us out assess your hardware in the future.

I know you wanted more immediate results but sometimes we need information to help you out.

We are not here it infest your computer with malware nor get sensitive data bout you.

Most of us here are there to help if possible.

Hey,I know that you can't infest my pc or some bullbleep like that, I didn't buy my computer yesterday. But the thing with 60.000 bad sectors : I'm not sure that the program was actually reading what was on the HDD because there was nothing. Now I'm afraid to run some other tests because I don't want to put it under stress and potentially lose all my data ( I don't want to pay guys for recovering data).

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

well a piece of software like crytaldisk info isnt that intensive, plus there are non windows disk testing tools such as using a live image of linux.

Actually you may wish to look into linux as a possible backup solution just in case windows is having too many issues with it, if you got a external hard drive and a thumb drive you may be in luck and you may be able to rescue your data if its not been too badly corrupted.

I have used linux many times tor rescue windows files and folders, may be a good idea for you.

But you will need a thumb drive for that possible solution and a external so you can salvage your data.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 April 2018 - 03:21 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 dottoRe

dottoRe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

well a piece of software like crytaldisk info isnt that intensive, plus there are non windows disk testing tools such as using a live image of linux.

Actually you may wish to look into linux as a possible backup solution just in case windows is having too many issues with it, if you got a external hard drive and a thumb drive you may be in luck and you may be able to rescue your data if its not been too badly corrupted.

I have used linux many times tor rescue windows files and folders, may be a good idea for you.

But you will need a thumb drive for that possible solution and a external so you can salvage your data.

Right now I can see the files and windows is running on an SSD so that won't be a problem, although running linux in case of something goes bad is a good advice. I'll try to copy the files on another HDD, hopefully it will work and won't die in the last second.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Cross your fingers then, I mean it sucks that your hard rived died but it happens sadly.

Even the best hard drives die eventually.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hey,I know that you can't infest my pc or some bullbleep like that, I didn't buy my computer yesterday. But the thing with 60.000 bad sectors : I'm not sure that the program was actually reading what was on the HDD because there was nothing. Now I'm afraid to run some other tests because I don't want to put it under stress and potentially lose all my data ( I don't want to pay guys for recovering data

if need be, i do data recovery!  i don't swap internal parts, because i don't have a clean room yet.  and it's not a windows based recovery software( those are bad for a drive).  it's independent hardware based system that connects to drive an ATA command level to access the drive.

If you need help pm me.  I'm a cheaper solution then sending it off to a clean room. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users