Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is better SSD Hybrid 5200rpm or regular 7200rpm?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

Hey guys, I need to make a choice between buying a hybrid SSD drive at 5200rpm and a regular drive at 7200, which would be the better choice please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

I suppose you mean a Hybrid HDD?

For a laptop or desktop computer? What is the intended use for the HDD and its size?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yes Hybrid HDD 1TB for Macbook Pro laptop. To use for music and video playback mostly, once per week.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

For that type of use it seems the 7200rpm drive gives better results, don't forget that the 7200rpm drive will require more power = less battery time.

Hybrid drives provide better performance when accessing the same files several times and if they fit inside the HDD cache...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

My mac will always be powered when playing music so that's not an issue. Yes that is what I am thinking too that the drive with the faster rpm whether it's ssd or not would be the better option.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

My mac will always be powered when playing music so that's not an issue. Yes that is what I am thinking too that the drive with the faster rpm whether it's ssd or not would be the better option.

An SSD is a different story it will beat any HDD or SSHD in terms of speed.

___
Rui

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Ok so what you are saying is a 5200 rpm SSD will be faster and more efficent than a 7200rpm regular HDD?

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hi, no SleepyDude was referring to a full SSD drive (which has no rpm speed rating, as it does not involve a moving platter and reader arm) as opposed to what you referenced which was a Hybrid SSD drive, which uses flash memory and a  platter, spinning at 5400 RPM. SleepyDude also correctly indicated that this drive is good for " Hybrid drives provide better performance when accessing the same files several times and if they fit inside the HDD cache..."

So depends on whether you play the same music, videos, or constantly update your playlist. Either way once accessed you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Buy to suit your budget, me, I would expand the capacity to a 3 Tb drive and go for 7200. 

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

Thank sfor the info guys, yes, I had decided to go with a regular 7200rpm drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users