Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer display distorts and turns into black and white lines with some color

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hbluemn

hbluemn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

I've included a picture because I don't think I can accurately describe what the issue looks like. It happens every so often, maybe not every time I use my laptop, but seems to happen when I move my mouse. It will go away after a few seconds but then if I wait a few seconds before moving my mouse again it usually happens again. As you can see, there's not only lines but the display distorts on the right side. When this happens, everything is still functional.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5520. I really need to fix this because I want to sell my laptop so I can buy a new one for college this fall! Any help is appreciated.

ClMAYei.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

Hello hbluemn,

Couple of questions if I may;

Are you using a USB mouse or the notebooks trackpad.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the same issue happens.

Do you have an external screen that you can connect the notebook to, this to see if the display on that has the same problem.

#3 hbluemn

hbluemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Hello hbluemn,

Couple of questions if I may;

Are you using a USB mouse or the notebooks trackpad.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the same issue happens.

Do you have an external screen that you can connect the notebook to, this to see if the display on that has the same problem.

Thank you for replying. I'm using the trackpad. I haven't tried safe mode, and this issue pops up infrequently so it would probably take me a long time to figure out if safe mode fixed it or if it just hadn't happened yet in safe mode. Can I try safe mode with networking? I have a desktop computer but my mother uses it a lot so that's probably not an option.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

You can try Safe Mode only when you do not need to go online and with Networking when you do.

Do you use a USB type mouse with your desktop, if yest, try using that instead of the trackpad and see how it goes, the problem could be caused by something coming into contact with something that it shouldn`t or a loose/damaged cable etc.

You are welcome btw  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users