Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dedicated backup drive won't let anthing to be written to or deleted from it for

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cem

cem

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016

I tried to restore to a previously 'created restore point' but it failed (System restore error 0x80070091).
Because I had an Audio Driver issue...

Meantime I fixed my audio card driver problem (reinstall)...

But immediately two irrelevant things are screwed up now:

My dedicated 6TB backup drive won't let anything to be written to or deleted from it for no good reason!
It started to show error: The Recycle Bin on Y:\ is corrupted...
"Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this Drive?" I click Yes.
But of course, the system won't let me due to problem number 1. 
"You need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder."

This drive is a 6 TB data drive and has been serving with no issues about a year now. 
And the drive shows no indication of errors or any weaknesses. S.M.A.R.T. stats are all green.
My other system has no such problems with it.

What I have tried so far 

- sfc /scannow:  No Problems

- I did the change the owner to 'Everyone' and included the sub-folders. 
  It scanned the whole drive and seemed like it completed the task without any errors.

- I activated the built-in admin account.
takeown /F Y:\ /R It took, of course, forever to scan the drive.
Results of that scan:  
Mostly: "SUCCESS" (including a bunch of Recycle stuff) 
Few: "The system cannot find the path specified." 
And This"You do not have permissions to read the contents of directory blah..."
"Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control? "YES"
Scanned twice as much more: "Success in all entries" 

Yet nothing has changed! I still don't have any permission for that Drive but reading permission...

Why now?! Why after trying (and failing) to Restore the system?
The second OS that I am building as a workstation has no such problem and the only difference between the one with the problem is that one doesn't have U.A.C.

Any expertise help will be cherished...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Are you saying the drive does not allow access on one computer but does on the workstation you are building? Was the drive attached during the system restore?

There is another command you can use but this will take a long time on a large drive with many files.

icacls X:\*.* /reset /t

Substitute your drive letter for X: in the above command. 

https://qualapps.blogspot.com/2010/09/fixing-permissions-on-external-hard.html

Are your important files on this external drive backed up to another device? If the drive failed today, what damage would be done? Because it is a backup drive your files are in another location? If yes then it may be best to wipe the drive and partition/format it on the computer that is giving problems. 

#3 cem

cem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Hello, 

Yes and yes. I have, give and take about 10 drives on the system all the time. They are all internall drives.

This was my first W10 built so I'm building two systems together. I do it in one system and then apply to my main, offline system.

That one is really clean, no UAC no WD system. That is gonna be my WS one day...

My main OS, the one without UAC, doesn't have any permission issues with that DATA drive at all.

Well, this also one didn't have any issues for a couple of months. The DATA drive is not really a backup drive actually.

It's just valuable important data drive which has a clone. Like all the other 10 drives, I have. I learned my lesson a long time ago...

If this would happen to my main system I would be devastated, that would be the end of the road for me. I can't build another system...

I am trying to do my thing with computers, I mean it is a very important part of my studio... But I can't do it unless I become an IT manager... 

Building a system became my lifestyle and I really am not digging it at all. These things were way easier, what happened...  

I am sorry I don't want to get philosophical on you, it's just that getting old is a bleep and I am dying to make my music if I can get through these nightmares... 

Thank you for trying to help... 

Edited by cem, 22 April 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

Did the icacls command work? If not and if you data is backed up I would recommend you reformat the drive. 

#5 cem

cem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

I haven't yet tried icacls like you said, it is an 8 TB drive full of billion little files, as well as big ones... So I am hesitating. But  I will look into that... And thank you.

But I am not fond of the idea of reformatting my sound and steady drive... Not because of Windows has stumbled you know...

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#6 cem

cem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

UPDATE

So two more of my drivers start to behave just like my DATA drive. Again only with this OS (with UAC)
The other system as always has no access issues to any of, now in total; three drives...
During this problem with the original DATA drive, I was using this external drive just fine like every other day... 
Prior to this external one, there is no event that could be a cause; like a failed Restore Point or some other error containing a major event.
(And there were another 1TB HDD which was also only readable. But I reformated it for restoring Images anyway...)
Unless this thing is contagious through drives, this is bound to be a Windows dance, no?

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

Personally, I don't touch Windows 10 and I have no idea why the drives are behaving this way other than some borkage is going on in Windows. 

I would be interested to see if the same problem happens when you boot a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. You wouldn't be installing anything as it runs in RAM and off the DVD/USB flash drive. 

Firstly, you need to disable Windows 10 fast startup. Then type the following commands at an elevated  command prompt to remove hibernation.

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Having fast startup enabled prevents linux from writing to the drives because of the hibernation file it uses.

You can download Mint here and burn to a DVD by right clicking and select Burn Disk Image. Let it boot to the desktop. At the desktop click the Computer icon. You will see in drives in the left pane. Clicking on them will mount the drive and open a file manager window. If the drive mounts rename a junk file. That will at least rule out some hardware problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users