Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows data recovery program that can read HFS+

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

I'm suspecting there isn't going to be a solution here.

I have a 1TB drive that was inaccessible through Windows - it would show on the remove USB devices list, but the drive wouldn't mount to the point where it would show in the file explorer.  Supposedly, it was accessible in the past on Windows machines, but it is unclear if special software was used.  It contains a lot of footage on it that is still needed.

Unfortunately, the HDD was reformatted (not quick) in Windows, and the data needs to be restored.  Is there any software available that can be used in this situation?  I'm currently running Piriform Recuva, but I don't expect that it'll find anything since I doubt it can read HFS+.

Contrary to note #1 on https://www.cleverfiles.com/hfs-file-recovery.html, prior to the HDD being reformatted, Windows did not ask to reformat the drive, nor did it give an "unrecognized file system" warning as stated in note #2.

I'm using W10, but also have access to W7 and a Macbook Pro if that'll help.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2018 - 11:46 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

You write, "Unfortunately, the HDD was reformatted (not quick) in Windows."

If this is true, you have nothing to recover.   A full format is an overwrite format that clears out all prior content as part of the process.  Quick format simply sets up (or re-initializes) the existing file system and marks all blocks as free without touching their contents.  A full format wipes everything out intentionally and by design.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,990 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

By the way, if the drive was not full formatted under Windows, there is Paragon Software's HFS+ for Windows that has a 10-day free trial that would at least allow the drive to be read under Windows (and, probably, be able to use some data recovery program on same provided the HFS+ file system was not fully reformatted).

Personally, if it's HFS+, I'd try doing this from an Apple platform.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

Brian, do you have any thoughts on why Windows couldn't mount the drive, nor did it ask to reformat the drive or complain that the format was invalid?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,990 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Glenn,

Windows does not work with HFS+ (natively) so that could at least explain part of the issue, but there are so many "maybes" involved that I really don't have anything that would be other than a SWAG.

For all I know the drive itself might be failing.  But, you said further up, "Unfortunately, the HDD was reformatted (not quick) in Windows," which directly conflicts with, "Windows couldn't mount the drive."

I am utterly confused about what, precisely, has occurred and in what sequence.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Please going forward, begin and maintain a routine backup onto external media [*] process.  That is one of the best ways to recover from any data delete disaster. [*] I meant on external media that contains only backup images, other than on external media containing original, only-existing, data folders and files.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 April 2018 - 11:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

Glenn,

Windows does not work with HFS+ (natively) so that could at least explain part of the issue, but there are so many "maybes" involved that I really don't have anything that would be other than a SWAG.

For all I know the drive itself might be failing.  But, you said further up, "Unfortunately, the HDD was reformatted (not quick) in Windows," which directly conflicts with, "Windows couldn't mount the drive."

I am utterly confused about what, precisely, has occurred and in what sequence.

Sorry! There were clues to the chronology, but here it is:
1) We tried it on 3 different computers, comprising at least Vista and W10, maybe also 8.  No mounting, no errors, despite people saying it previously worked fine at the office and at Nonbox and Thorn Productions.

2) Received news from Thorn Productions that they'd backed it all up onto another drive.  Another person checked and said it was true.

3) Reformatted it since we didn't have a Mac on-hand, didn't have software to access HFS+, and thought it was backed up.

4) Boss later said that it hadn't been fully backed up to the other HDD. :(

Please going forward, begin and maintain a routine backup onto external media [*] process.  That is one of the best ways to recover from any data delete disaster. [*] I meant on external media that contains only backup images, other than on external media containing original, only-existing, data folders and files.

See #2 above.  I'm just a volunteer who started a month ago, and the people who run the show are not technically inclined, thus things are rather haphazard.  I've been trying to correct that.

Edited by RevGAM, 24 April 2018 - 06:31 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,990 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:05 AM

Glenn,

If step #3 involved a full format, not a quick format, then I'm circling right back to where I started:  you have nothing to recover.   Once it's overwritten it's overwritten.

Perhaps that fact alone will help whip things into shape for the future.  It generally takes only one disaster like this one to make the light bulb go on for those who've been in the dark about the need to maintain a backup protocol for important material.

#9 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Glenn,

If step #3 involved a full format, not a quick format, then I'm circling right back to where I started:  you have nothing to recover.   Once it's overwritten it's overwritten.

A quick format only writes the directory table, which makes it really easy to get data back.

But on your statement above, I beg to differ.  I've known for decades that data can be recovered after even a full format, although the chance of success is reduced, and that there is software out there, as well as hardware, designed for that purpose.  All you have to do is search to find out that this is true.  If the drive is zeroed (overwritten with zeroes) repeatedly, then it is almost impossible to recover anything other than fragments.  I'm currently trying Recuva from Piriform.  After that, if it doesn't work, I'll switch to a Mac and use OnTrack Easy Recovery, which my buddy says works well on Mac but not so great on Windows.

I'm still not terribly hopeful, however.  Recuva showed 24 files found before I left the office, but not the chance of a successful recovery, and I don't know how many files there should be.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,990 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

Well, if you succeed in getting anything back after a full format I will be shocked, period.

I've been in this business for years and while there are things that forensic analysts can use to try to get back material on drives that have been fully formatted or zeroed out, even those don't have spectacular success rates.

The usual recovery tools like recuva, TestDisk, etc., very seldom get anything back that's useful/usable if a drive has had a full format or zero fill.

#11 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Well, if you succeed in getting anything back after a full format I will be shocked, period.

I've been in this business for years and while there are things that forensic analysts can use to try to get back material on drives that have been fully formatted or zeroed out, even those don't have spectacular success rates.

The usual recovery tools like recuva, TestDisk, etc., very seldom get anything back that's useful/usable if a drive has had a full format or zero fill.

Like I said, I'm not terribly hopeful! ;)  Thanks for your help, Brian!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#12 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

And now the amusing end...Recuva found some files, but not the ones I was looking for, which seemed to have been deleted prior to formatting, as there were thousands in the recycle bin.

Then, just out of curiosity, I looked at this other drive to see what files we DID have.  Lo and behold, my boss didn't look carefully - everything was there!  All that time wasted!  To top it off, it was also backed up to the backup HDD!  I cancelled Recuva's scan, of course.

LOL!

Now, I just need to find the best backup software for all the internal and external HDDs! :)

Please close this thread.

Edited by RevGAM, 25 April 2018 - 12:28 PM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,990 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

Glad the problem has been resolved.

We don't close threads except under special circumstances at BC as they just "go fallow" on their own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users