Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 Graphics on Dell Optiplex 780

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sapienta

Sapienta

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

I am attempting to install a AMD Radeon 6450 graphics card on my sister's Dell Optiplex 780 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600. I am struggling to get the display working. The monitor simply says "Check Video Cable".

I have attempted to download drivers both from here and here. The former (provided by Dell) seemed to install fine, but did not fix the issue. The latter, seems to rely on detecting the hardware (even if I do the manual selection). Unfortunately, this will not work. If I install the Radeon card physically, I get no display (the PC seems to favor the Radeon over the stock/integrated graphics), so I cannot run the installer/detection program with the card actually in the computer. The BIOS only has two options, Auto and some other option (I cannot recall the exact label). I have tried both with the same result (no display when the Radeon is installed).

Any advice would be appreciated. The machine is running Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

Hello Sapienta,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the power supply in the Dell 780

#3 Sapienta

Sapienta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

It is an L235ES-00. Thanks. :)

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

That will be the reason that the GPU will not work.

A Radeon HD 6450 GPU requires a minimum of a 300W PSU that can produce at least 22 amps on the +12V rail, the present PSU does not have either.

As an asides Sapienta, can I ask that you update/conclude your other thread here for us, thanks.

Edited by PhillPower2, 21 April 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#5 Sapienta

Sapienta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

That is unfortunate, but thanks for the quick resolution. Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but does anyone know if the power supply is part that can be easily upgraded on a small form Dell Optiplex 780? Thanks, and I updated the other thread by the way. :)

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

Being a non propriety PSU they are both difficult to find and expensive to replace.

An old thread that may be of some help to you here

Edit to add, got your update at the other thread, thanks  :thumbup2:

Edited by PhillPower2, 21 April 2018 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Sapienta

Sapienta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions, but I do have one more. I also have a Dell Optplex 780 (the one I was working on was my sister's). Mine is a mini-tower I believe. I just took a peek inside it, and it is actually equipped with a 305W supply.. My question is two-fold. First, would this PSU likely work with the Radeon graphics card (the watts seem sufficient)? I am running Debian so I am not sure if testing it would be plausible or not (due driver availability). Second, while I understand the small-form factors did not originally come equipped with this type of supply, are they compatible or not? I know it might be a rather particular question , but maybe someone has experience with the Optiplex models? Thanks again.

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Better to ask questions than to potentially risk any loss of hard earned cash or frying your computer.

As I mentioned the PSU in the SFF is the non propriety type as shown here the mini tower though uses the ATX type as shown here notice the two totally different sizes and shapes.

You are welcome btw  :)

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

A Radeon HD6450 will run quite happily in a Dell OptiPlex 755 SFF with a standard 235W PSU & mine has been happily doing so for several years. The 300W figure quoted is nonsense.

When you fit the card the display signal should come from the HD6450 with the internal graphics disabled. Windows should start & locate it's own drivers. If this does not happen & you don't even get the Dell BIOS splash screen then there is a faulty component or connection.

(the HD6450 is a low power card that uses less than 30 Watts & has similar power consumption to the Dell factory fit option cards that were available on these machines)

Edited by rqt, 21 April 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

Should have asked earlier, from where was the HD 6450 obtained and is it guaranteed to be in 100% working order.

The 300W figure quoted is nonsense.

You could be right as AMD say 400W if you check the support tab here

#11 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

The PSU requirements generally quoted for graphics cards are generous & assume the probable use of full size systems possibly with multiple hard drives & optical drives plus case fans, lighting & any other expansion cards such as sound etc. that may be fitted. All this extra power consumption is not & cannot be fitted to a SFF Dell - so in this case the generally quoted figures are totally misleading.

#12 Sapienta

Sapienta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

Just to provide an update in case anyone else references this thread. The Radeon graphics card worked just fine on the machine noted in the post; the problem was with the DVI-I to VGA adapter. Thanks everyone. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users