Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Specs.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ronnie15

ronnie15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Hello all,

I am in the process of specing a new machine which I will have built for me and am not fully sure of my specs,  Here they are [ so far ] 

CPU Intel i9  7960x  [ was originally thinking of the AMD Threadripper ] but I guess i'm pretty much a dyed in the wool Intel guy.

Main drive   Intel DC P3600 2Tb.

Board  Asus x299 Deluxe.

Memory 128 Gb Corsair Dominator 3200.

PSU  Corsair  HX 1000w.

Storage,  am torn between a 2nd DC P or a Samsung 960 Pro 2Tb  would also like a traditional HDD such as 6Tb WD Gold.

Cooling will be Corsair Hydro [ not decided on model yet ]   It's the GPU that proves a dilemma, do I go with 2 x 1080 Ti's or 2 x Quadro p 2000's  The primary purpose of the machine is 3D Cad and Video editing  Gaming will be the secondary use.

The software used is Avid Media Composer Ultimate [ Video ] and Siemens NX [3d CAD ]  Budget will be £8000, at a push £9000.

any suggested revisions most welcome.

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

[ was originally thinking of the AMD Threadripper ] but I guess i'm pretty much a dyed in the wool Intel guy.

And why is that? Threadripper is more efficient and faster in most cases.

Where are you planning to buy from? 

I would get this: 

AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core : £973

Supermicro H11SSL: £300

Same powersupply

but DDR4 ECC RAM: 1323.85

As for GPU i don't really know anything about Siemens NX. You may be able to go with 1 quaddro and 1 1080ti but i wouldn't recommend SLI. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 ronnie15

ronnie15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:17 AM

HiCaptain_Chicken,

The Siemens NX is a very high end high powered cad/ cam system. Both the mentioned software runs very well on my current machine it's just that I feel it is time to uprate the system and look for any improvements.

As for the Threadripper  I have nothing against AMD CPU'S it's only that I have used Intel since my very first machine [ better the devil you know ]  but if a change to AMD would be beneficial then it is something I would consider.

I like the look of the specs you posted  Would it be possible to have 2 of the CPU'S you mention ? 

As the main purpose of the machine would be running the aforementioned software  I would prefer to miss out the Ge Force card [s]  and probably go with 2 Quadro's if that is a possibility.  In effect I am after the best system for around £8000/9000

As far as I'm aware both Avid and NX are multi threaded apps so should benefit from a high core count.  Looking at the prices I could get 2 of the AMD'S for not much more that the 1 Intel  so that may be a possibility [ if technically possible ]

Good shout about making the Ram ECC type  I will certainly go that route  

Once I have the specs finalized the machine wlll be built in around 6 weeks from now, so I have time to get this right.

Thanks for your help.

#4 ronnie15

ronnie15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:29 AM

Further info, was looking at the Supermicro site and they have boards that support 2 of the AMD epyc cpu's  they also list compatible Ram for each board so will do some research on there.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

Good Idea. Also make sure you can get a case that supports EATX motherboards. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 ronnie15

ronnie15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

Captain_Chicken,

Many thanks for your help with this, it is much appreciated. :thumbup2: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users