Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a virus need help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 jbboy

jbboy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

For the last few days my computer has been running slow, when I am in a program my right click on my mouse locks the computer up, I can start  virus programs but they get part way thru and then stop responding, Rkill runs but shows no issues, I cannot start in safe mode and I cannot get into my update and security files.

I am running windows 10 on a ASus Zenbook

help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

:step1:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here
  • Right-click on the MBAM icon and select Run as administrator to run the tool.
  • Click Yes to accept any security warnings that may appear.
  • Once the MBAM dashboard opens, on the right detail pane click on the word "Current" under the Scan Status to update the tool database.
  • On the left menu pane click the Settings tab, and then select the Protection tab on the top.
  • Under the Scan Options, turn on the button Scan for rootkits and Scan within archives.
  • Click the Scan tab on the right detail pane, select Threat Scan and click the Start Scan button
  • Note: The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure to checkmark all the listed items, and click the Quarantine Selected button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the View Report button, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log can also be viewed by clicking the log to select it, then clicking the View Report button.
Please post the log for my review.

Note: If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
===

:step2:
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.
  • Click the LogFile button and the report will open in Notepad.
IMPORTANT
  • If you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.
If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.
  • Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.
  • Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.
  • A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.
  • You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleanerCx.txt (x is a number).
===

:step3:
Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.
attachlogs.png

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.
Click Attach this file.
Click the Add reply button.
===

Please post the logs for my review.

Wait for further instructions.
==============================

#3 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

Sorry was not able to run these programs until today work got in the way.

malware bytes looked up after it went into scanning startups let it run for 45 min just kept spinning.

I was able to run adwcleaner but also looked up at the end was able to run a second still locked up and was able to find two threats which quarantine them

reports are attached

Thxs in advance

Attached Files

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

Nothing malicious was found in your log.
This is just a normal cleaning with Farbar.

Press the Windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.
Type Notepad and and click the OK key.

Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to a new file.

Start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

S2 WinZip Compression Smart Monitor Service; "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WinZip Smart Monitor\WinZip Compression Smart Monitor Service.exe" [X]
ContextMenuHandlers5: [igfxcui] -> {3AB1675A-CCFF-11D2-8B20-00A0C93CB1F4} =>  -> No File

End
Save the file as fixlist.txt in the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the Farbar log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
---

Observations.

A number of entries shows that McAfee was installed on this computer.
It's not listed in the Security Center of the Addition.txt log.

If you did uninstall the program I suggest you run the McAfee's removal tool.
Download and run the removal tool.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html

Restart the computer normally.

p.s. If you did not remove it stop and let me know.

===

If Malwarebytes is not scanning to completion re-install the program.

Let me know what problem persists with with computer.

#5 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

after running the FRST program the computer is running much faster with no hesitation but I am unable to unistall the Mcafee program using the site you mentioned, After about 10 minutes of preparing to unistall I get a message that says "Incomplete uninstallation Timeout no response from mccleanup.exe" I also tried uninstalling it from the programs menu but a 3"x3" blank white square shows up and that's it. I also uninstalled and reinstalled maleware bytes ran it and the same thing keeps happening where it gets to the checking the startup programs and then just spins and the qty of files checked does not change.

also my when I right click the computer locks up and when I click on my update and security tab nothing happens

#6 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

Hi,

Lets remove what we can.

Press the Windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.

Start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

(McAfee LLC) C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\SystemCore\mfemms.exe
(McAfee LLC) C:\Windows\System32\mfevtps.exe
(McAfee LLC) C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\SystemCore\mfefire.exe
(McAfee, Inc.) C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\MMSSHost\MMSSHOST.exe
(McAfee, Inc.) C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\csp\2.7.371.0\McCSPServiceHost.exe
(McAfee LLC) C:\Windows\System32\mfevtps.exe
(McAfee, Inc.) C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\VSCore_15_7\mcapexe.exe
(McAfee, Inc.) C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\mcsacore.exe
(McAfee, Inc.) C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\saUI.exe
BHO: McAfee WebAdvisor -> {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} -> c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\x64\McIEPlg.dll [2018-03-19] (McAfee, Inc.)
BHO-x32: McAfee WebAdvisor -> {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} -> c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McIEPlg.dll [2018-03-19] (McAfee, Inc.)
Handler: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\x64\McIEPlg.dll [2018-03-19] (McAfee, Inc.)
Handler-x32: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McIEPlg.dll [2018-03-19] (McAfee, Inc.)
Filter: application/x-mfe-ipt - {3EF5086B-5478-4598-A054-786C45D75692} - c:\Program Files\mcafee\msc\McSnIePl64.dll [2017-12-21] (McAfee, Inc.)
Filter-x32: application/x-mfe-ipt - {3EF5086B-5478-4598-A054-786C45D75692} - c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\msc\McSnIePl.dll [2017-12-21] (McAfee, Inc.)
FF HKLM\...\Firefox\Extensions: [{4ED1F68A-5463-4931-9384-8FFF5ED91D92}] - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\e10ssaffplg.xpi
FF Extension: (McAfee® WebAdvisor) - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\e10ssaffplg.xpi [2018-04-19]
FF HKLM-x32\...\Firefox\Extensions: [{4ED1F68A-5463-4931-9384-8FFF5ED91D92}] - C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\e10ssaffplg.xpi
FF Plugin: @mcafee.com/MSC,version=10 -> c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\NPMCSN~1.DLL [2017-12-21] ()
FF Plugin-x32: @mcafee.com/MSC,version=10 -> c:\PROGRA~2\mcafee\msc\NPMCSN~1.DLL [2017-12-21] ()
CHR Extension: (McAfee® WebAdvisor) - C:\Users\nicho\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\fheoggkfdfchfphceeifdbepaooicaho [2018-04-16]
R2 McAfee SiteAdvisor Service; C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe [604312 2018-03-19] (McAfee, Inc.)
R2 McAPExe; C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\VSCore_15_7\McApExe.exe [728808 2017-12-20] (McAfee, Inc.)
S3 McAWFwk; C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\actwiz\McAWFwk.exe [454560 2016-11-15] (McAfee, Inc.)
R2 mccspsvc; C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\CSP\2.7.371.0\\McCSPServiceHost.exe [2140888 2017-12-13] (McAfee, Inc.)
S3 mfefire; C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfefire.exe [357840 2017-09-29] (McAfee LLC)
R2 mfemms; C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfemms.exe [509904 2017-09-29] (McAfee LLC)
R3 mfevtp; C:\Windows\system32\mfevtps.exe [466384 2017-09-29] (McAfee LLC)
S3 cfwids; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\cfwids.sys [77280 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
R3 mfeaack; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfeaack.sys [492512 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
R3 mfeavfk; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys [355808 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
S0 mfeelamk; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfeelamk.sys [84016 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
R3 mfefirek; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfefirek.sys [506336 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
R0 mfehidk; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfehidk.sys [938464 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
R3 mfeplk; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfeplk.sys [115168 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)
R3 mfesapsn; C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\x64\mfesapsn.sys [111608 2017-02-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
R0 mfewfpk; C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfewfpk.sys [252896 2017-10-19] (McAfee LLC)

ContextMenuHandlers1: [McCtxMenuFrmWrk] -> {CCA9EFD3-29ED-430A-BA6D-E6BBFF0A60C2} => c:\Program Files\mcafee\msc\McCtxMenuFrmWrk.dll [2017-12-21] (McAfee, Inc.)
ContextMenuHandlers5: [igfxcui] -> {3AB1675A-CCFF-11D2-8B20-00A0C93CB1F4} =>  -> No File
ContextMenuHandlers6: [McCtxMenuFrmWrk] -> {CCA9EFD3-29ED-430A-BA6D-E6BBFF0A60C2} => c:\Program Files\mcafee\msc\McCtxMenuFrmWrk.dll [2017-12-21] (McAfee, Inc.)
Task: {9484E646-9E84-4ACF-8193-E19B6BA9943F} - System32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Auto Maintenance Task Agent
Task: {A89D9B79-D8C9-4C26-8259-B21F84243AE3} - System32\Tasks\McAfee\DAD.Execute.Updates => C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\DynamicAppDownloader\DADUpdater.exe [2017-11-23] (McAfee, Inc.)
Task: {AB6A0A35-9FBE-4BFA-94B0-52F2C41ECCE6} - System32\Tasks\McAfeeLogon => C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe
Task: {C9E43067-169E-4BCE-A00F-883F5AFDFEDF} - System32\Tasks\McAfee Remediation (Prepare) => C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\McAfee VirusScan\upgrade.exe [2018-02-27] (McAfee, Inc.)
Task: {D0B104D8-8AC1-443C-BF10-06C9FAD004B3} - System32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task
FirewallRules: [{174C637D-D2C5-4CAD-BA95-E0C004AB72EE}] => (Allow) C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
FirewallRules: [{BF94CAD3-F3B5-4128-AE6E-4F701F93DD25}] => (Allow) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Mcafee\MMSSHost\MMSSHost.exe
FirewallRules: [{20C9C3B8-B616-4644-9D13-4E573F032D7D}] => (Allow) C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MMSSHost\MMSSHost.exe

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Auto Maintenance Task Agent
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\McAfee\DAD.Execute.Updates
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\McAfeeLogon
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\McAfee Remediation (Prepare)
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task

c:\Program Files\mcafee
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\McAfee VirusScan
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Mcafee
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee
C:\Windows\System32\mfevtps.exe

End
Save the file as fixlist.txt in the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.

---

After a restart of the computer download and run Malwarebytes' Cleanup Utility

Restart the computer when completed.

Reinstall Malwarebytes.

Please let me know what problem persists with this computer.

#7 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:24 AM

Ok I ran the FRST (log attached) and the Mcafee seems to be cleaned up now, I ran the malware bytes cleanup utility it asked me if I wanted to restart the computer I clicked yes and nothing happened after waiting 5 minutes i restated the computer manually reinstalled maleware bytes and same thing happens as before when it gets to scanning startup files it just keeps spinning without anything happening, and still when I right click on the home screen the computer locks up and when I click on my update and security tab nothing happens.

Attached Files

#8 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Repair these services.

Boot with Safe Mode with Networking. Execute the following.

Please Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair from Here
  • Install and then run the program
  • Execute the instructions on Step 1 Important
  • Click Next on Step 2 Optional, do the Pre Scan skip Step 3 and 4 Optional for now.
  • On Step 5 Backup System Restore Do a Registry backup. When you have completed this click Next
  • Click Repairs - Open Repairs in the bottom right corner
  • Uncheck the All repair button then select just the item(s) listed below

• 01 - Repair Registry Permissions
    03 - Reset Service permissions
    04 - Register System Files
    05 - Repair WMI
    10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
    16 - Repair Windows Updates
    20 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    25 - Restore Important Windows Services
    26 - Set Windows Service to Default Startup
  • Click the Start button and let the process run to completion. Copy any error messages into Notepad, Save it on your Desktop. ( Reboot if asked to do so)
  • Please copy and paste the Contents of this file on your next reply.
===

Restart the computer normally.

How is the computer running now?

#9 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

I am back I was not able to get to my computer until today

i followed your instructions above but when tweaking program got to item 4 nothing happened and I had let it run for 1/2 hour, i unched item 4 ran the program again and it ran all the way thru.

I am still having issues with my right click locking up the computer, unable to go into my update tab and if my computer goes to sleep  when I wake it there is just a black screen with a cursor.

logs attached 

Attached Files

#10 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

Hi,

We must fix the problems with the Reparse points.

You already have the Wondows repair tool. Follow the rest of these instructions.

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that from here

- Right click on QfBzvq1.png and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
(Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.
2f8o60N.png

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Depending on which error Windows Repair found, click Repair, Repair Reparse Point or Repair Environment Variable accordingly. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair.

- Go to Step 3, then click Check in the See If Check Disk Is Needed.
Ymy7crZ.png

- If Windows Repair stated that errors are found, click Open Check Disk At Next Boot. Choose (/R) Fixes errors on the disk also locate bad sectors and recovers readable information, then click Add To Next Boot. Reboot the computer to let Windows check the disk. https://i.imgur.com/Ymy7crZ.png

- Go to Step 4, then click Do It.
zDtdN75.png

- Go to Step 5. Under System Restore click Create.
f7lEe1N.png

- Go to Repairs and click Open Repairs. Leave all checkmarks as they are, then click Start Repairs.
PGv2vtD.png

- By default Windows Repair All-In-One will create a "Logs" folder in its folder on the Desktop. Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.

Please let me know what problems persists.

#11 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Sorry for not getting back earlier very busy time of year for me.

I have followed your instructions above but I am still having the same problems. I have attached logs

Attached Files

#12 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:02 AM

Please run the Farbar scan and post a fresh FRST log for my review.

#13 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

logs attached

Attached Files

#14 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

Start

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:

() C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\TweakingRemoveSafeBoot_64.exe
(Microsoft Corporation) C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe
U2 TweakingRemoveSafeBoot; C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\TweakingRemoveSafeBoot_64.exe [70040 2015-11-25] ()

Reboot:

End

===

--RogueKiller--
  • Download & SAVE to your Desktop Download RogueKiller
  • Quit all programs that you may have started.
  • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
  • For Vista or above, right-click the program file and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Accept the user agreements.
  • Execute the scan and wait until it has finished.
  • If a Windows opens to explain what [PUM's] are, read about it.
  • Click the RoguKiller icon on your taksbar to return to the report.
  • Click open the Report
  • Click Export TXT button
  • Save the file as ReportRogue.txt
  • Click the Remove button to delete the items in RED
  • Click Finish and close the program.
  • Locate the ReportRogue.txt file on your Desktop and copy/paste the contents in your next.
=======

Please download MiniToolBox to Desktop and run it.

Check mark the following boxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • Click Go and copy/paste the log (MTB.txt) into your next post.
  • Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
Please let me know what problem persists with this computer.

#15 jbboy

jbboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Hello

I have completed per your instructions. Rogue killer program stalled when it started scanning "searching for tasks", it sat for over 20 min with nothing happening, tried running it a second time same thing happened the only way I was able to close the program was to into task manager and force it to close.

still having same issues.

logs attached except the rogue killer downloaded program, I was able to run rkill the log is attached

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users