Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor Performance Windows 10 - chrome crashing & chrome.exe error reported.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hocktastic

hocktastic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can help me - apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this.

My computer which runs windows 10 has been performing poorly since I was given it. It takes a long time to open applications, or search and typing is delayed.

I thought this could be because the contents of my old computer which ran windows 8 was transferred onto this new one which runs windows 10 - but I don't know if this is the case.

To try and improve performance I followed general tips to speed up windows 10 - such as turning off extra features and effects etc.

It was also recommended for the virtual memory I make the initial size and maximum size the same. Which I did via the control panel- however I believe this has caused the new problems I am experiencing now. I have tried to change the virtual memory back to how it was before and also tried to restore my computer but neither of these options seem to have worked. 

The situation is now that chrome will crash whenever I have more than a few tabs open with no warning. This is really serious for me as I have to do timed tests for uni and if they crash I get zero marks.

Sometimes I get a chrome.exe error notification which I have attached a picture of.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me resolve this situation, and speed up my computer.

Kind regards,

Rachael 

Attached File  chrome error.png   37.7KB   0 downloadsAttached File  chrome error.png   37.7KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

Rachael,

Several things you mention set off mild alarm bells in my head and do make me think that the Windows 10 support forum is the correct place for your query as opposed to the Web Browser and E-mail programs forum.

There should be no issue with transferring user data over from any prior version of Windows to a Windows 10 machine.  Most programs (though not all) can be reinstalled as well.

First and foremost it sounds like you got what I refer to as a "well-used" (which doesn't mean in bad physical shape, just used heavily for computing tasks) Windows 8.1 machine which was probably upgraded to Windows 10 (as opposed to upgraded then promptly doing a Completely Fresh Install of Win10).  I'm basing that on "since I was given it" and not taking your description "new" literally, but as "new to me."  There are a significant number of upgraded machines that have behaved problematically even before the upgrade and sometimes worse afterward.  You cannot build a house on a shaky foundation.  If this presumption is correct, and depending on what version of Windows 10 you're currently running, you may want to do one of several things.

Please hit the Windows Key, immediately type winver, then hit enter.  Please post the Version and Build numbers for Windows 10 that's running on your machine.

It could also prove quite helpful to have a Speccy Snapshot of your system to assist in guiding you further.  Publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 hocktastic

hocktastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hello there!

Thanks for your quick response!

Sorry I should have been more clear about how I got my laptop. My laptop is provided by student finance. My previous laptop (the one running windows 8) broke and could not be repaired. Therefore I was provided with a new laptop with windows 10 (this one) with my old information on. The laptop was given to me brand new it had just been set up with my information on by a student finance technician :)

This current laptop I have had for about 16 months and I use it every day. 

This considered, should I still do the things you mentioned in the previous reply?

Thanks,

Rachael

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Yes.  It's essential to know the Version and Build you're running and a full Speccy snapshot would be most helpful, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 hocktastic

hocktastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

Okay cool :)

Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XAwzu3orxqAB1SWaxAh6naI

Thanks,

Rachael 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

Have you recently done a Restart?  (Or a Shutdown if you have Fast Startup turned off?)

I'm just wondering if anything will behave differently since the system has been up for 9 days.  

Also, not that I think this will fix it, but have you ever cleared browser cache for Chrome?

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 hocktastic

hocktastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

Hi there,

I have restarted the laptop since the problem began, and it didn't help.

I also believe I cleared the cache about a month ago, but I may not have done - i can't remember properly.

Should I clear the cache now?

Thanks,

Rachael 

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Definitely clear your browser cache (if you use CCleaner or similar you can clear it using that, otherwise do a quick web search on "clear cache Chrome") and do a Restart on the machine before trying out Chrome again.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hi, memory management in windows ten is much more advanced then any previous OS. You actually have a paging file and attached to this is a swap file, in addition win 10 employs memory compression if sufficient ram is available. Back in XP days suggestions were made to set VM to same for max and min, the theory was good the reality though was a misunderstanding of how memory works.

In windows ten you should (unless you know what you are doing and have a good reason for doing it) let window manage the paging file.

Go here to step 9 and follow the instructions:-

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/77692-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10-a.html

#10 hocktastic

hocktastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for your help,

britechguy - I've downloaded CC cleaner and cleared my cache - initally it seems to be working better. However, I will continue using it for a few more days and see if it crashes again as it has gone days without crashing then started again :)

jenae - I will also look at the memory stuff you have sent me now!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users