Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB to WiFi device

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

I've got a Hewlett Packard Deskjet D2560 which only has a USB port connection.  I purchased a TP-Link WPS510U Print Server which plugs into the USB port and allows me to access this printer via WiFi.

I'm trying to install this Print Server on 2 laptops, a Dell Inspiron running Win7 and a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10.  When I first installed the print server, I was able to print to this Deskjet.  However, after a few weeks the Print Server stopped working.  I have uninstalled it and re-installed it on both laptops to no avail.  When I send a test print and then check the status of the Deskjet, it reads "Printer busy or error".  I can ping the IP address assigned to the Print Server but cannot print to the Deskjet on either PC.

I've contacted TP-Link tech support and have an open ticket but I'm getting no where with them.  The want to conduct a remote troubleshooting session but they are located in a time zone opposite mine.  They are only available from 9PM until 11:30PM and I am not.

Can anyone suggest another device that will successfully convert this USB Deskjet into a WiFi device?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

probably not what you want to hear....but

when you consider the price of the printer, and what your spending on the adapters, what your doing is really a waste of time and money.....i would suggest buying a new printer with WIFI

i would also suggest a laser printer....more economical in the long run

Edited by mikey11, 20 April 2018 - 12:17 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

You may get a better answer regarding the print server using the TPlink forum specific to print servers.

http://forum.tp-link.com/search.php?searchid=8840498

#4 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

Mikey11, I already have ink for this Deskjet and wanted to take advantage of that, since ink is so expensive.  A WiFi printer is in my future.  Thanks

JohnC_21, I've been trying to join the TP-Link forum as well.  I'm waiting for my reply email that I've been granted access, since last Friday. (4/20).  Thanks

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

I kept one of my older builds (P4) and used it as a home network server.  It has 500 GB drive for all users along with a serial USB HP AIO unit for all users to print, scan and store  It also has a parallel port (Centronics) for an older printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users