Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Usage windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 datstrong

datstrong

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

So i have windows 10 64bit and im at like 70%+ memory usage all the time even on desktop. I have 16gb of ram and not really sure what's going on. I've run every virus scanner imaginable from malwarebytes to roguekiller and have found nothing. Here are some (I hope) relevent screenshots.https://i.gyazo.com/067baff865727f8fbb5364f43e05ecba.png

https://i.gyazo.com/e28d1eefbf45883c7791325973ae9f24.png

https://i.gyazo.com/969e8bce77a4e315d88fcbce9a1ec06c.png

https://i.gyazo.com/75485736af6beed60c4010ac01b2d59f.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

I'm failing to see the problem here.   Just your task manager screen shot shows that you have a long list of processes that are demanding significant chunks of memory.

Using 70% of 16GB of memory should be nothing to worry about, as you've still got plenty of breathing space.

I would definitely look at what non-OS processes are being started at system start up that you may not want or need and eliminate those, but if you're not having performance problems, and I doubt you are, why bother?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

I agree with Brian. Although I am running Windows 10 and rarely see my system use more than 15% of memory, I have never been concerned with start up processes. In your case it might be worth checking out.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

I also want to make clear that I am presuming a lot of the things shown in the original poster's Task Manager screen shot, e.g., the Steam Client processes, Hearthstone Deck Tracker, TeamSpeak 3 Client, are all being started up at start up rather than being fired up via specific user action.

It is amazing these days, at least to me, how many programs have "run in the background, beginning at system startup" features so that they will appear to start up faster if/when the user decides to use 'em.  I always turn these features off.  I know when I wish to use something and I'm very glad to take "the penalty" of a few extra seconds when I initially start that program rather than the penalty of it demanding system resources all the time, particularly for those things I use infrequently.   All the things I use routinely, e.g., Firefox, Chrome, get fired up as soon as my system is booted and generally stay running until I reboot the system, which is often days and days later.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 datstrong

datstrong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

https://i.gyazo.com/9807a9b147af530b03d2eb972878a2ca.png

The issue was apparently related to hearthstone deck tracker as it seems ok at the moment.  I don't really understand the interaction between that and dwm.exe maybe a co-incidence.  But resolved for now i guess

Edited by datstrong, 20 April 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

I'm not quite sure what you believe that last screen shot indicates, but physical memory usage is still indicated at 78%.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 datstrong

datstrong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Sorry the screenshot was before closing hearthstone deck tracker and restarting.   https://i.gyazo.com/5619faaaf34f8488acd645be2b4dbd77.png this is now.  It seems to be an improvement I don't know if there are still any issues though

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Not that I need to, if the issue is solved to your satisfaction, but on that last screen shot you cut off the "summary line" that shows across the bottom of Process Explorer so no one would have any idea as to how much physical memory usage has changed (unless he or she wanted to do the math which, I assure you, they do not).

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 datstrong

datstrong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

ah yes, my bad.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users