Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop suddenly shuts down with no warning when on battery power.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:12 AM

I've just replaced the battery, bought on eBay, in an Acer 5920 running Win 10 Fall upgrade. Although I followed the charging instructions the laptop simply shuts down after about an hour of battery use without any warning. 

Running the battery report throws up odd things. When first run on the new battery the report detailed the battery info as follows (which coincidentally is exactly the same as the original battery, even the serial number):

NAME Chapala

MANUFACTURER SONY

SERIAL NUMBER 22180

CHEMISTRY LION

DESIGN CAPACITY 48,840 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 14,652 mWh

After swapping the batteries about the report showed the new battery to be a Sanyo as follows:

NAME Chapala

MANUFACTURER SANYO

SERIAL NUMBER 63331

CHEMISTRY LION

DESIGN CAPACITY 47,520 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 46,991 mWh

Note the Design Capacity, it should be 56Wh (56000mWh).

The laptop then threw a wobbly and I lost the user account, which is the subject of a separate appeal the BC community. Losing the account also appears to have wiped most? of the battery history prior to it happening.

Today's first battery report on the new battery shows the original battery details again. After running the laptop for about an hour the laptop powered down without warning. Running it now on mains with the new battery installed the battery report shows the Sanyo details again.

The last battery report shows:

Recent usage

Power states over the last 3 days

START TIME STATE SOURCE CAPACITY REMAINING

2018-04-19

20:17:49 Active AC 4 % 544 mWh

20:32:53 Suspended   100 % 14,652 mWh

20:34:11 Active AC 100 % 14,652 mWh

21:01:00 Suspended   100 % 14,652 mWh

21:27:13 Active AC 100 % 14,652 mWh

21:55:22 Suspended   100 % 14,652 mWh

22:06:37 Active AC 100 % 14,652 mWh

23:30:05 Suspended   100 % 14,652 mWh

2018-04-20

07:29:45 Active AC 312 % 45,721 mWh

07:29:45 Active Battery 312 % 45,721 mWh

08:25:00 Suspended   312 % 45,721 mWh

08:41:59 Battery changed AC 22 % 10,141 mWh

08:41:59 Active AC 22 % 10,141 mWh

10:05:36 Report generated AC 68 % 31,806 mWh

Note: The 08:25 entry is when it powered down without warning and the entry for battery change is wrong because I did not change the battery. Also note the 07:29 and 08:25 entries show capacity at 312%???????

Why does the laptop power down with out warning and how do I fix this? 

Why does the battery report keep changing battery details and how do I fix this?

The short life of the new battery is also an issue which I may have to take up with the supplier if its performance does not improve.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Edited by duffsparky, 20 April 2018 - 04:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Would you post the exact Model please: Acer 5920-xxxx

Did you rule out the Power Supply?  Perhaps it is corrupting the battery memory.

What OS did this laptop come with?

I assume there are no problems when plugged in?

Which Version of Windows 10 are you running?

Check the Critical Battery Level in Power Options and tell us what it is set at.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

The OS is now reporting low battery and has stopped mis-reporting battery details.

I have virtually no experience of running a laptop/notebook on battery, this machine's original  battery failed years ago and I have only ever known it run on mains power.

With the new battery the laptop takes about 1hr:10mins to go from 100 to 23% in battery saver mode running just Edge (2 or 3 webpages), which is rather disappointing. I had read I could get 2 to 3 hrs subject to how it's being used. The battery is supposed to be 56000mWh but the battery report states Design capacity of 47,520 mWh and actual capacity of 46,991 mWh. Am I expecting too much or does the low performance suggest the battery is not as it should be?

​I had started this topic here because I though it might be a Win 10 issue, however, as no-one has replied I'm wondering if it's in the wrong place, if it is could a moderator move it to where it should be please, preferably not the bin.

#4 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

It's an Acer Aspire 5920 5A2G25Mi  (ZD1) there doesn't appear to be a 4 figure suffix (-XXXX)

Intel Core2 Duo T5550 1.83Ghz 1.83Ghz with 2 Gb ram

Win 10 Pro version 1709 build 16299.371

I wouldn't no how to rule out the power supply other than to say it appears to be working OK i.e. runs laptop, charges battery.

It came with Vista Home.

Critical battery action:

On battery: Hibernate

​Plugged in: Hibernate

Low battery Level:

On battery: 23%

​Plugged in: 10%

Critical battery level:

On battery: 5%

​Plugged in: 5%

​Low battery notification:

On battery: On

​Plugged in: On

​Low battery action:

On battery: Do nothing

​Plugged in: Do nothing

Reserve battery level:

On battery: 7%

Plugged in: 7%

​Normally there were no problems when plugged in, however, since changing the battery the machine has thrown a major wobbly, which I think coincided with a Windows update and freeze on reboot, please see my post  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/676054/lost-access-to-files/

Edited by duffsparky, 21 April 2018 - 10:13 AM.

#5 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

I wouldn't no how to rule out the power supply other than to say it appears to be working OK i.e. runs laptop, charges battery.

That should say - I wouldn't know how to rule out the power supply other than to say it appears to be working OK i.e. runs laptop, charges battery.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

I may be wrong but when on Active AC it should always show 100% or near to it. Maybe somebody can confirm if 22% on Active AC is normal.

08:41:59 Battery changed AC 22 % 10,141 mWh

08:41:59 Active AC 22 % 10,141 mWh

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3297-generate-battery-usage-report-windows-10-a.html

You lost most of your charge in 17 minutes while suspended which indicates a problem. Even when suspended you shouldn't lose that much.

I think something is wrong either with the adapter or charging circuit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 April 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#7 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

I've just used the laptop on battery power and it suddenly died after less than a hours use. Just before it died a warning message came up saying it was at 20 something % and so many minutes use. 

I've just run the power /energy command and it lists 8 errors, 7 warnings and 20 informational. I've looked at the log generated but it doesn't mean much to me.

Can anyone throw some light on this.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Just as a simple test, use the laptop for a while without the battery and just plugged in.  Then move the Power cord around to see if at any time you lose power.  Sometimes those power cords go bad, but will work most the time until it is made to fail by moving it around.  Maybe a long shot but you may as well try it.  What I think is the Ground, is maybe a hundred of tiny very fine wires that help make the cord flexible, are wrapped around the center wires, and over time will degrade and break.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

Ran the laptop with no battery just plugged into mains and gave the power lead a good wiggle and twist and it kept going.

Any ideas how long this machine should/could run on its battery? 

#10 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

I've just used the laptop on battery power and it suddenly died after less than a hours use. Just before it died a warning message came up saying it was at 20 something % and so many minutes use. 

I've just run the power /energy command and it lists 8 errors, 7 warnings and 20 informational. I've looked at the log generated but it doesn't mean much to me.

Can anyone throw some light on this.

I meant to attached the power /energy report but it's in html format and I get a message stating: "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".

There are several entries in the report stating: 

"USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping".

I noticed when I started the laptop both yesterday and today that battery level was at 98% but it was shut down at 100%. Is this level of discharge when not in use normal?

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

It's possible yes. 

Take in consideration you are working with an Old Laptop with a very New Operating System on it.  And you have the very latest version of Windows 10 also.  You should be happy it's worked this long LOL.  May I ask how long 10 has been on this machine?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

It's possible yes. 

Take in consideration you are working with an Old Laptop with a very New Operating System on it.  And you have the very latest version of Windows 10 also.  You should be happy it's worked this long LOL.  May I ask how long 10 has been on this machine?

LOL ??? I guess you mean Laugh Out Load not Lots Of Love :wink:  

As I understand it, the version installed is up to MS update. Is it not the case that once you open the door to the beast it runs riot?

10 Has been installed since about August of last year I think.

Edit: systeminfo  | find /I "Original" says 3rd December 2017 or would that be when the fall update was made?

Edited by duffsparky, 24 April 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

It's possible yes. 

LOL ??? I guess you mean Laugh Out Load not Lots Of Love :wink:  

As I understand it, the version installed is up to MS update. Is it not the case that once you open the door to the beast it runs riot?

10 Has been installed since about August of last year I think.

Edit: systeminfo  | find /I "Original" says 3rd December 2017 or would that be when the fall update was made?

Laugh Out Loud fits better yes.

Yes, but some pc's don't get Upgraded for various reasons.

Not sure about system info, I usually look at Speccy, it will give you an installation date, and that is when it was either Installed or Upgraded.  Example, every Upgrade will be seen as the "Install Date". 

"3rd December 2017 or would that be when the fall update was made?"

Yes, that is probably when the Upgrade took place.

I'm not on Windows Ten now so can't look at system info.  In Windows 7 it don't show the Install Date, at least that I can see.  "WMIC OS GET installdate" does but not as good as speccy, and not sure how that would apply to windows Ten.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

I suspect this is your laptop

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5920-Hard-drive-GraphicsX3100/dp/B0010X2L4O

--- It’s been on quite a trip graduating from Vista to Win 10 Pro version 1709 build 16299.371

--- Now there are quite a few problems that need to be addressed.

I know this is an opinion but you might want to consider a more modern Windows 10 computer

--- I’ve bought some refurbished ones, make sure they run as good as new.

I have 2 refurbished Win10 Pro computers, a desktop & a laptop, and both of them run as good as new.

#15 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-5920-Hard-drive-GraphicsX3100/dp/B0010X2L4O

Yes that looks like the one, though I'm not sure about the graphic part.

I am considering buying something new/newer but to be honest I'm so out of touch these days I would have to rely on the shop assistant to sell me what I need and being the suspicious type, I'm not keen on relying on a salesman's patter.

Edited by duffsparky, 27 April 2018 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users