Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Free Upgrade Downgraded my 64bit Windows 7 to 32bit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MrCreosote

MrCreosote

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:26 AM

Had 64 bit Windows 7 on a ztsystems PC w/MSI 760GM-E51 mobo

PC had 8gb memory and recently increased to 16gb (and comfirmed with CPU-Z, etc.)

Only to discover today that 3.2gb was available and my Win10 was actually only 32bit.

WTF????   HOW DID THIS HAPPEN????

Is there any way I can get the 64bit Win10 w/o a clean install?  (Maybe something like revert back to Win7-64 and force a Win10-64 upgrade?  or?)

Edited by MrCreosote, 20 April 2018 - 03:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:31 AM

clean install is the best way,

in my experience, computers that have upgraded OS will run into problems eventually,

when i did my free upgrade from windows 7 to 10 i went through the upgrade process to make sure windows 10 activated (which it did)

after my upgrade was completed i wiped the drive and did a clean install

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

There is no way to convert a 32bit install to a 64bit install. Do a clean install per the below BC guide. Was the Windows 10 install activated? If yes then using the Media Creation Tool in the guide will allow you to install without first installing Windows 7. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

#4 MrCreosote

MrCreosote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

A clean Win10-64 will lose most of the apps currently on my PC.

QUESTON:

IF I can restore Win7-64,

THEN is there any way to force a Win10-64 upgrade?

I know I can burn Win10 install disks (32 & 64) but will they do a Win7 upgrade?

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

A clean Win10-64 will lose most of the apps currently on my PC.

QUESTON:

I know I can burn Win10 install disks (32 & 64) but will they do a Win7 upgrade?

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in the last couple of weeks?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 MrCreosote

MrCreosote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:13 AM

No, the free Win10 Upgrade was done i 2016.  However, the PC is strictly a HTPC (home theater PC) and he only thing that changes on it are Firefox bookmarks.

Besides, I don't think it is possible to do an upgrade from 32 to 64 or from 64 to 32.  With that in mind, somehow, this PC had Win 7 - 32 on it which makes no sense given it had 8 gb of memory when new - AND xt customer service (manufacturer of PC) confirmed it was sold with Win 7 - 64.

Edited by MrCreosote, 21 April 2018 - 08:36 AM.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:35 AM

Then it has been too long. After about 15 days you can not simply restore back to a previous version because the folder is deleted. You can do a clean install of either Windows 7 or Windows 10, but you can not push a button and restore Windows 7.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:52 AM

please keep in mind that any beginner reading the above post #6, will have no clue what a HTPC is, nor what xt could possibly be. :grinner:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

^^^^ Thank you Condobloke, consider me a novice because I have no idea what those acronyms refer to.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

you can't restore windows 7.....its been too long now,

only way to get windows 7 back is to do a clean/fresh install,

but no point in that, you are just going to have to do a clean install on windows 10 64bit...or just live with the 32 bit....you have done so up until now

#11 MrCreosote

MrCreosote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

My only concern are the mobo drivers which includes an old Radeon 3000 onboard video which I had to regedit to to get rid of borders on the HDMI output.  This mobo only has drivers available up to Win7.

This PC did the free Win10 upgrade even though there are no drivers for the Radeon 3000.  (I had an eMachine that would not upgrade because Windows determined it was not compatible with Win10)

QUESTION is:  Is it possible PC will NOT function properly on Win10-64 which it does on Win10-32?

PC also has Office 2007 on it and I can't find the disks.  I think there is a way to do that.  But other than Office, there isn't any other software I can't do without.

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

are you having any problems with the computer?

if not, then why not just leave it as it is?

its been this way for almost 2 years now

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

I agree with mikey11. Why change it now if it is not causing any problems?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 MrCreosote

MrCreosote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

The issue is I need more speed for fewer frame drops when streaming HTPC stuff.

This PC was my fastest with 8gb memory (and the Win10/32) and totally shamed my 100% reliable/robust Windows Media Play AMD X2 VISTA box I replaced.

However, in a relatively short time, it started slowing down.  Couldn't find any real issue other than Firefox needing all available memory which appears to be a JAVA issue.

NOTE:  ClamWin found 4 viruses that it could not move or delete probably because they were in use by Windows?  AVE and Malwarebytes found nothing although neither do a full directory scan like Clam does.  I know this is a separate issue but probably relevant to the slowing down issue.  I've installed add-ins to detect bit mining at web sites and have never encountered any.

So I want to take advantage of the 16gb.

I do know that 8gb @ 64 bit is equivalent to 4gb @ 32bit, so the 16gb @ 64 is definitely not an excessive amount of memory.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Besides, I don't think it is possible to do an upgrade from 32 to 64 or from 64 to 32.  With that in mind, somehow, this PC had Win 7 - 32 on it which makes no sense given it had 8 gb of memory when new - AND xt customer service (manufacturer of PC) confirmed it was sold with Win 7 - 64.  [emphasis mine]

Which is precisely what I suspected.  I have never, and I do mean never, seen Windows change bit-level when updating.  If it's got a 32-bit base it updates to 32-bit, same for 64-bit.

Now, it is entirely possible to install 64-bit Windows 10 on a machine that's actually 64-bit architecture even if it has 32-bit Windows 10 on it.  However, that requires Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.  One guest contributor on this thread, started by me last September, 64-Bit Processor but 32-bit Windows 10, huh?, indicated that he had later installed Win10 64-bit on a machine that had 64-bit architecture but that had originally come with Win7 32-bit installed as mine did.  I, however, have not tried the same since that machine doesn't get enough use to warrant the trouble of trying to reinstall all of the software that's already on it and it does its job just fine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users