Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost access to files

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:20 AM

Following a frozen boot of an Acer Aspire 5920 running Win 10 Fall upgrade the laptop went into an automatic repair on the next boot. Once booted the “We can’t sign in to your account etc etc” error message appeared.

I tried to follow a tutorial to regain access to the user account but it was either the wrong one or I messed it up. Any way I now have what appears to be a new user account with original user account name and no access to the original files, installed programs appear to still be there although not all are readily accessible.

Part of the tutorial said to go to   C:\ Users and copy my files, however, all the C:\ User folders are empty. Does this mean that all the files are gone or are they still there but just not readily accessible?

In addition, the laptop is now quite slow although it was getting slower and slower before the problem occurred.

Any help with this problem will be very much appreciated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

Update,

​

​

​ 

I suddenly started to get these characters ​ appear each time I press enter.

​

The mouse and keyboard are very slow to respond and so is MS edge. I normally use Chrome but that has gone since losing the user account. Task manager shows memory usage at 74% with just Edge running. The laptop has 2Gb (2 x 1Gb) of ram and Edge is currently taking over 400Mb with just one webpage open. I've ordered more memory (2 x 2Gb), something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

I failed to mention above that the problem started after changing the battery. I assumed this may have had something to do with it, however, after looking at the system restore I see a Windows update occurred at the same time. I've read in several places that a Windows update can lead to a “We can’t sign in to your account etc etc” error message.

â€

I've installed some file recovery software to look for my files and it shows loads of the files I want as having a poor or bad state. I haven't done any file recovery.

​

Is it likely a system restore would help?

​

​

​

​

Edited by duffsparky, 20 April 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:59 AM

Last night I couldn't shut the laptop down because start button on the taskbar was unresponsive, in fact everything on the task bar was unresponsive and so was the Windows key. I ended up just shutting the lid.

This morning it was still the same so I rebooted using the on/off power switch. The task bar is now responsive again and so is the Windows key.

Looking again at the file recovery software scan the files found are not the ones I'm after and I'm wondering if the automatic repair mentioned above has overwritten my files?

A few days before the current problem I ran CCleaner and cleared out found errors etc. I ran CCleaner today and it showed hundreds if not thousands of registry errors, which I haven't cleared out yet as I would prefer to get some advice on this first.

I also used CCleaner to disable some startup items, not that there were many to stop. This seems to have improved the slowness a little and memory usage with just Edge running is no around 62% with Edge taking about 170Mb.

As you can see the appearance of the â€‹ characters each time I press enter has stopped.

Can anyone help with my lost files??????

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

Just a shot in the dark here duffsparky…

Do you have a folder named Windows.old in the same directory that Windows is installed to? There is a good possibility if this folder exists you can recover your data from there!

Open File Explorer and Browse to: X:\Windows.old\Users\ See if your old user folder is there (replace X with the drive letter Windows is installed to.

Please report back either way!

Old Rocker

#5 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Old Rocker thanks for the reply,

There is no Windows.old\user\ folder only windows.old.ooo and the contents of that are all from the middle of last year, I think, when the OS was upgraded.

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

One other thought...

If you are not allowing hidden files, folders and drives you are missing some folders under the User directory. It's a long shot I know, but just maybe... If you need assistance please follow the link below to enable the feature.

Again it's just a thought

Old Rocker

#7 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hidden files and folder is allowed and I temporarily enabled the hidden admin account to search from there. 

#8 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Clutching at straws here ~ Some time ago when this lappy ran Vista I was guided through a hive fix, which I think involved using a Win XP bootable usb flash drive to gain access to the C drive then copying and renaming old hive folders and substituting them for corrupt ones. This worked a treat and I used it on more than one occasion. Does anyone know if there is a similar thing for Win 10 that might help?

Edit: The hive fix came from JohnC-21 on this site see: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561649/blue-screen-error-after-installing-program/

Edited by duffsparky, 21 April 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

You can test your Hard Drive with SeaTools for Windows.   

Under Downloads:

You can use "SeaTools for DOS" from a Bootable DVD or USB.  This option is best in my opinion for testing a bad drive, and best if you download and create the tool from another machine.

Or just Install it to the Computer with "SeaTools for Windows"

Right above downloads are the Guides for each I've presented here.

This is your choice, if you think the drive is good because it is somewhat new etc. just move on, but drives are the first thing to go in a computer.

NOTE: You should try to recover you files FIRST In My Opinion, and then move on to fix the computer.​

You can try a tool like THIS, but it will only allow you to recover a certain amount of Data for the free version, and I forget how much that is.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Can anyone help with my lost files??????

Don't you have a good System Restore Point available?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

I don't have access to another PC but this one has a D partition that I can download to, which is what I should have done earlier with the file recovery etc software. I already have the file recovery software you suggest but its size limitations mean it won't allow me to recover any of the files I need they are too big. I previously installed iSkysoft data recovery which hopefully will allow more.

I've downloaded both versions of Seatools and am looking into how to create a bootable pendrive with it.

​There are 4 available restore points, 3 dated before the problem occurred and one on the day about the time of the Windows Update? and/or automatic repair. I've no idea if any of them are good.

I'll get on with creating the Seatools pendrive, if it can be done without installing anything to the C drive ( I don't want to overwrite any more than has already been done. In the meantime, please can you advise in which order I should proceed with:

• ​Using Seatools
  • Using one of the restore points (and which one)
  • Using the file recovery tool

Many thanks

Edited by duffsparky, 21 April 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

Clutching at straws here ~ Some time ago when this lappy ran Vista I was guided through a hive fix, which I think involved using a Win XP bootable usb flash drive to gain access to the C drive then copying and renaming old hive folders and substituting them for corrupt ones. This worked a treat and I used it on more than one occasion. Does anyone know if there is a similar thing for Win 10 that might help?

Edit: The hive fix came from JohnC-21 on this site see: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561649/blue-screen-error-after-installing-program/

That hive fix will not help with your problem of missing files. Download ShadowCopyView. Run the program as Admin. Click on one of the Restore Points and in the lower pane you can browse through your USERS directory for any files. You can copy files from the utility to any folder.

The files may be somewhere on the drive. You can use Everything to do a search on the drive for any files. 

#13 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, I hope I wasn't out of order mentioning you. As you can see your past help was not forgotten.

Does ShadowCopyView have to be installed or can it be run from its download location? If it has to be installed can it be to the D drive?

Please ignore the above - I've just read the ShadowCopyView help file/user info.

Edited by duffsparky, 21 April 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

If ShadowCopyView finds your files you can right click and copy. It will bring up another window asking where to copy the files to.

#15 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

Of the 4 Snapshots ShadowCopyView found only the most recent showed any folders or files. Unfortunately this restore point was made after the problem occurred so none of the files wanted are available.

I don't want to overwrite anything on the C: drive so I'll install the Everything utility on the D drive but i'm not sure which options to select for the remainder of the setup, please can you help? see attached screenshots:

• Everthing install screenshot 1.png
  • Everthing install screenshot 2.png

Many thanks

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users