Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In an increasingly digital world, are we losing our grip on reality?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

On the subject of russian intervention in the american electoral system........

Be sure to read the whole article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-19/telling-real-from-fake-era-fake-news-digital-technology/9667264

just a few small excerpts....

What makes deep fakes particularly problematic, he says, is that little to no technological expertise is needed to make them.

"You hand this machine learning algorithm two things ... a video of somebody speaking, and then ... a couple of thousand images of a person's face that you would like to superimpose onto the video. And then the machine learning algorithm takes over," he says.

Professor Farid describes deep fake technology as a potential political "game changer".

Its ultimate effect, he says, could be to make all video material online — both real and manufactured — equally suspect.

"Imagine a world leader who is caught in a private setting saying something offensive, illegal, controversial," he says.

"They now have plausible deniability, despite the fact that the content is completely legitimate."

and....

Professor Farid says all attempts at developing an authentication watermark for digital video material have so far failed.......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-19/telling-real-from-fake-era-fake-news-digital-technology/9667264

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Not that I don't think there's legitimate cause for concern, because there is, but this is just another instance of the old saying, "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

The falsification methods mentioned have been in use since long before I was born, but what's different now is the scale on which they could be deployed and the greatly increased ability to create really convincing fakes.

Personally, my greatest concern is what the article calls "the filter-bubble effect."  More and more people simply don't want to deal with the messiness that sorting through the actual real world, and its inherent complexities and conflicting [but often equally true] information.   When someone runs to a place that feeds them nothing but information designed, and it is designed, to reinforce their preexisting beliefs and prejudices it breeds willful ignorance (and willful stupidity).  The more deeply ingrained that becomes the less amenable the individual becomes to having any outside information that conflicts with their preconceived (and, to them, precious and absolutely true) notions have any impact on reshaping their thought process.

The decline of the societal recognition of the absolute value of a free press composed of professional journalists as a foundation of a free and open society is being lost.  There was a time, most of my lifetime in fact, where it was unquestioned that professional journalism was a gatekeeper for the truth and where information was thoroughly vetted before it reached publication.   There were (and are, still) always the infrequent lapses but, on the whole, one could trust what came out of the mainstream media (and in my opinion still can, particularly when compared against filter-bubble social media and ideologically aimed `news` sources).  The idea of "fair and balanced" did not involve presenting all sides, whether true or blatantly false, but on presenting differing takes on how to interpret what all sides accepted because of a shared respect for the factual basis they shared, even if the resulting positions diverged widely.

You (the generic you) have to be willing to accept that you can be wrong, or at least incorrect due to lack of full information, as a starting point in order to be a fully functional human being living in this world and willing to adjust what you believe when new information becomes available.  The problem today is that there is a very large contingent that believes, "Because I believe it, it is true," as their approach to the world and everything in it and that has never questioned, even for a second, their own beliefs and examined where they came from. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

Condobloke, I read the article in its entirety, twice.

My own prescription against the 'notion of authenticity' being confounded is not only believe half of what you read and none of what you hear, but more of what you see/feel while keeping your own counsel, always open to new info for adjustments of viewpoint.

Just to add, when physically able in the past, times spent (days, weeks and sometimes over a month when handing my business jobs to my foreman) in the Sierra mountains without any civilized input granted a clarity of thought still enjoyed today. At least I hope so.  :) 

Interesting article by the way, and britechguy, very eloquent and articulate response, enjoyed it immensely.

Edit: as opposed to actual reality, still getting used to the iPad's virtual keyboard, corrections were needed.

Edited by r.a.d., 20 April 2018 - 12:54 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

A movie::::::::::
Do You Trust this Computer? (2018)
Artificial Intelligence

I'm quite sure on my part purely conjecture, postulating, speculation and assumption and some other
even better word that doesn't come to mind mind you, but I imagine its already here
to some degree or level. But will the public / laymen ever be told or filled in in the slightest?
In your dreams HA! I think not.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 20 April 2018 - 03:30 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

That's what my father taught me.  Believe NONE of what you hear or read and only HALF of what you see.  Media, whether in print, radio, tv or the last two over the cable, satelite or phone lines, they are selling advertising and the slant between what the money providers (advertisers) want to sell, to what market and   what price pervades all else.  What gets you to view those adds is what they fill in with programming a majority don't watch.  Now if a reporter wishes to make up or embellish a story line, whether to make himself look good to the boss or gets a little money on the side to make a few well placed insinuations, that's business.  Today's technology makes it a simple deal to manufacture a piece of video footage that depicts any event and air it on the internet.  If things look authentic the network news shows may look closer before airing it but it can be very hard to verify events, locations and times.    FAKE NEWS, most can spot it, others believe it and politicians will ride the fence until they decide if it benefits their party.  This is  still the real world, I still get to make my own decisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users