Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Update Failed - HELP PLEASE -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ghostdrifter11

ghostdrifter11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:15 PM

-It should be noted that I have basic knowledge of PCs. All my knowledge comes from quick glances across google. Please use simple terminology for me to understand *lol*.-

Okay, so today I was in the midst of running a BIOS update onto my Dell Inspiron 3650 when it was "force shutdown" by somebody else in the household, and now my PC wont even turn on. I press the power button and it will turn on but for only a split second before turning back off again. I understand that this has more than likely royally screwed up my motherboard or other components such as my BIOS chip. I will be taking my baby (yes, I just said my baby) to a technician in the foreseeable future, but can I get a list of parts that could have been directly corrupted by this occurrence? Also a list of possible fixes would be nice with links to video demonstrations if possible. If there is anyway that I can also save all of the files on my PC that would be outstanding. I do understand, however, this this may not be possible. Thank you all so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

if your system is newer then 2015 then you should be able to do a bios recovery.

with system powered off hold <esc> + <ctrl> buttons down and turn the machine on.

if it's a desk top hold them until the recovery menu comes up

if a laptop you have to pull the power cable then hold the buttons and plug the power adapter in and then release the buttons when you see recovery menu.

here is a link to the instructions.

Edited by mightywiz, 20 April 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:59 PM

Read that article; it has several caveats that need to be met.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 ghostdrifter11

ghostdrifter11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

-Update- 

Okay so I was checking out the article and followed the instructions but to no avail. I searched what the average length of a warranty was and my sources said it was about 3 years, and my system in particular is out of warranty. I'm guessing mine was manufactured roughly from the end of 2014 to mid 2015. Thank you, @mightywiz & @DavisMcCarn for the referral to the article though.

So anyways I was wondering if I were to buy a new motherboard built specifically for the Inspiron 3650 and maybe a new BIOS chip if all should be good? 

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:28 AM

If you buy a replacement motherboard (new or used) it should have a working BIOS already fitted.

(If the BIOS were socketed so easily removable (probably not on a Dell) you would be able to replace only the BIOS chip as the rest of the motherboard should still be functional)

Edited by rqt, 21 April 2018 - 03:34 AM.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

On the system board is a sticker with D/PN printed on it which will be Dell's part number for your board.  You want to match that for real compatibility.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 ghostdrifter11

ghostdrifter11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

Thank you for your inputs @rqt and QDavisMcCarn. When I get some spare time I will open up my PC and take a look at the motherboard and if there is any possability of removing and replacing the BIOS chip. I will leave an update as soon as I find anything out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users