Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD & Very slow downloads

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cassandra123

Cassandra123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

I have an old Dell Inspiron 600m, with XP Home SP3.  For the past 6 weeks my download speeds have been deteriorating.  My ISP upgraded my plan to 200 mbps early this year, but my NIC can only do 100, so this didn't benefit me.  It may have had the contrary effect of depressing my download speed.  Upon the advice of an ISP tech, I bought a USB ethernet converter, which improved speeds to around 50 mbps, but even with it I'm now back in dial-up territory (kbps).

Yesterday, in an effort to see if malware was contributing to the problem, I ran Kaspersky TDDSKiller which found nothing.  I also ran Comodo Cleaning Essentials, specifically the smart scan (no problem found) and the KillSwitch program.  KillSwitch cited 5 files, 4 of which I recognized.  The fifth said msconfig had been turned off, so I chose it to be turned back on.

This morning when I turned on my laptop I had a BSOD.  I was able to get back online using Last Known Good Configuration. Blue Screen View found 3 issues with rdbss.sys, mrxsmb.sys and notskrnl.exe.  I ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk f/r which revealed no problems.  I also ran 3 passes of Memtest86 (version 4.3.7) which found no errors.

My questions are:

1) Am I out of the woods re: the BSOD?  Are there additional tests I should run?

2) Are there additional malware tests I should do?

3) What other issues could be causing such terrible speeds?

Thanks very much for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users