Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux ramble: Ubuntu 18.04 (my opinion)

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

With ubuntu 18.04 set to release next week I have elected to give it a full install on my hardware using its beta 2 image, I am testing out three of its desktop editions:
Ubuntu main
Kubuntu
and Ubuntu MATE.

Understanding this is a beta I do have some notes on some bugs I have encountered and my thoughts in general even with the beta status in mind.
So here are my opinions:

Ubuntu MATE:

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 was my most anticipated linux distro in years, not only does it have loads of customization options but its built with loads of TLC by its developers and team.
However so far… its a bit of a letdown
Its actually very buggy still, the new brisk menu is still super unstable and crashes regularly
With so many crashes it is doubtful these bugs will be patched for the final and may have to settle for one of the point releases instead of the initial version.
Too bad really as otherwise its fine.
The Mutiny layout is very close to unity but suffers from some issues like not having a re-sizable sidebar, the new config for brisk is very cool… but still buggy ugh.
This really does feel like a beta unlike the other two offerings.

Kubuntu:
This is a utter surprise, compared to the ultra unstable Ubuntu MATE Kubuntu is ultra stable.
Muon is back in action and better than ever, not to mention how buttery smooth KDE is now in Ubuntu.
I am in utter shock, KDE was usually poor in ubuntu but now it feels very smooth and is perhaps the second best KDE desktop next to Manjaro.
Yes it is that good, hands down the best version of Kubuntu in ages.

Ubuntu:
Ubuntu’s main version seems to be at the very least stable, as much as i hate gnome shell it has the best out of the box gnome experiences out there.
This is how gnome shell should be, a dock right on the side and desktop icons.
At this stage its the best gnome shell experience with manjaro falling behind thanks to the lack of desktop icons and needing a work around for that feature.
Once the desktop icons extensions is complete this will change but Manjaro is at the disadvantage by not offering desktop icons right now for those who want them.

In terms of stability two out of three isnt bad but hopefully the MATE experience can be fixed in future patches, we shall see.
So far ubuntu and Kubuntu seem very solid even for a beta, this is the most solid Ubuntu has been since 10.04

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

I wanting to give Lubuntu 18.04 a test drive.

For my old computers Lubuntu has always worked the best without problems.

I was disappointed with Ubuntu 16.04 so I've pretty much abandoned it but might give Ubuntu 18.04 a look at.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:19 AM

Don't forget that even when you install something like KUbuntu, you can still install other desktop environments and use them instead of the default. Only downside is more disk space used. You don't need to reinstall a different distribution. You installed KUbuntu but want LXDE or XFCE? Well, go ahead and install that package. Heck most folks would actually be better off installing the server/CLI version, then installing only the desktop they want. The fundamental difference between all three distributions in the OP is "what default desktop environment does a user wind up in".

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

Yes thats how I am testing it out.

No reinstall for each desktop here

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Kubuntu:

This is a utter surprise, compared to the ultra unstable Ubuntu MATE Kubuntu is ultra stable.
Muon is back in action and better than ever, not to mention how buttery smooth KDE is now in Ubuntu.
I am in utter shock, KDE was usually poor in ubuntu but now it feels very smooth and is perhaps the second best KDE desktop next to Manjaro.

I'm not surprised! ha ha

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Vectron

Vectron

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

I never liked the Gnome 3 shell or Unity desktops, so I was really just jumping around the other flavors. I've developed a liking for the MATE desktop since it appeared the most pleasing of all options. Budgie was interesting too, and recently the LXQt is making me anxious.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

I never liked the Gnome 3 shell or Unity desktops, so I was really just jumping around the other flavors. I've developed a liking for the MATE desktop since it appeared the most pleasing of all options. Budgie was interesting too, and recently the LXQt is making me anxious.

I thought Unity was OK when I first started using Linux and then found that I liked LXDE / Mate / Xfce better.

I'm anxious to try the new Ubuntu releases to see what they offer and how they run.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Kubuntu:

I'm not surprised! ha ha

Well you may wish to invest a look into Kubuntu 18.04 pcpunk since you will be in need to replace Linux mint 17 eventually

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 April 2018 - 11:53 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

Well see what the future brings!  I don't have the energy to distro hop these days and don't have much need for Linux right now.  I only have one customer using it and he seldom needs help after I set up his system over a year ago.  Really wish I had more time to check some of this stuff out.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

Still Kubuntu 18.04 may be your best bet.

Dont count linux out.

Besides Kubuntu isnt that hard to use compared to mint, sure you need to install codecs but you have to do that on modern mint anyhow.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 April 2018 - 08:20 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:06 AM

I will be giving Kubuntu 18.04 a spin when the new ISO is officially posted on April 26th. I really like the KDE desktop and my old Linux Mint installation is just getting tedious.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Still Kubuntu 18.04 may be your best bet.

Dont count linux out.

Besides Kubuntu isnt that hard to use compared to mint, sure you need to install codecs but you have to do that on modern mint anyhow.

Madman, I did not like Kubuntu all that well the last time I tried it, 14.xx.  The layout that in Mint 17 Series is just the best to me.  Lots of simple things that I like about Mint KDE really, nothing real technical but very important to me.  I have not even tried the new Mint KDE, and some have said it was buggy and not as good as 17 Series.  The most impressive Mint in the 18 series to me was Xfce, though never tried Cinnamon.  I don't like that in Cinnamon that the Menu is not all that customizable.  And Mint Mate 18 has let me down every time I've used it or installed it.  I will try to make time to test out Kubuntu when the time comes, and am glad that you had a good review of it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver  is Officially Released.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2018-April/000231.html

Update

Well I just finished downloading all of the 18.04 Bionic Beaver  releases that I wanted.

I always prefer the first releases as in my experience the always have worked better than any of the point releases.

I'll wait a few months before installing any of them so any needed fixes can be applied etc.

Edited by The-Toolman, 26 April 2018 - 08:38 PM.

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

I also prefer the LTS releases and have found them to be more stable.

Even though new KDE desktops in particular are infamous for being unstable, I'm going to try Kubuntu 18.04 and am currently downloading it.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

I also prefer the LTS releases and have found them to be more stable.

Even though new KDE desktops in particular are infamous for being unstable, I'm going to try Kubuntu 18.04 and am currently downloading it.

That's my intention also Al.  I will most likely use Mint KDE 17.3 Until the end though.  I'm still using Mint KDE 17.1 on my old HP nx7400 laptop going on a two year Install I believe.  Using 17.2 on another laptop just to bash around.  At this point can't even imagine using another Distro, though there may be other great distros out there, Mint KDE has just been so much fun to use.  Also like how is does not Auto Mount external drives by Default.  And, I think Windows 10 took some design cues from the Menu, especially the Lancelot Menu.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users