Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manual Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 null__

null__

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

My question to you is: if you were forced to manually install Windows Updates to a Windows 7 machine, what method would you chose? Would you use any 3rd party tools to assist in the effort?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

I know of no "3d-party tool"...that could possibly facilitate installing critcal Windows updates...whether such are manually installed or the auto-update option is elected.

If you know of one...please allow us to become more informed.

Louis

#3 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:23 PM

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

Describe how and why you would be forced to install Windows Updates manually.

Where have you read about 3rd party tools that would assist in that effort and include any links to those sources.

When Microsoft started to offer/install their snooping/spyware updates (aka telemetry) which gather data about your system and transmit that data back to Microsoft lots of people became suspicious and decided to voluntarily switch to always checking for and installing Windows Updates manually.  Do you believe that Microsoft would never gather any of your personal information and send it back to their servers?

One of the first and popular MS snooping/spyware updates is KB2952664 which even if you see it and hide it or uninstall it it tends to show up again later (they are persistent).  Since last year they have toned down the description of what that updates does and those that choose to participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (which you can disable and opt out of).

There are about a dozen of these snooping/spyware updates many of which you may have installed right now.  Windows Update shows them as "Important" but they are not important to you or your system but they are important to Microsoft so they can gather data from your system.

Changing Windows Update to Never check for updates puts you in charge of what gets installed on your system instead of Microsoft and by checking for updates yourself and seeing what they are about you can usually avoid the snooping/spyware updates and the hardware driver updates that MS sends which often result in support topics that begin with the words like "Windows Update broke my computer".  

There is an adjustment you can make in Windows that might prevent hardware driver updates from being installed on your system but I would not trust it to work - always check the offered updates yourself hiding any hardware driver updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2500967

If you want to be in charge of what updates get installed on your system here is a fine discussion with some information:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-how-will-it-change-your-system/6d2ee7f8-908f-4ddb-8fd9-1eab55773141?tm=1476461665170

Read more here:

https://www.askwoody.com/

Edited by joseibarra, 19 April 2018 - 11:49 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

Changing Windows Update to Never check for updates puts you in charge of what gets installed on your system instead of Microsoft and by checking for updates yourself and seeing what they are about you can usually avoid the snooping/spyware updates and the hardware driver updates that MS sends which often result in support topics that begin with the words like "Windows Update broke my computer".  

Excellent advice for controlling updates in Windows 7.

I have mine set to download updates but let me chose to install them this allows me to inventory each update and decide whether I want to install it.

The update system for Windows 7 when set as mentioned above works well or has for me.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 null__

null__
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

Describe how and why you would be forced to install Windows Updates manually.

Where have you read about 3rd party tools that would assist in that effort and include any links to those sources.

We have a Windows 7 machine that has a 7th gen processor that cannot receive updates due to "unsupported" hardware. I know about Zeffy's Wufuq tool, but have reservations. I figured if we can't get automatic updates, we can at least start doing them manually. As far as 3rd party tools, refer to RokTV's post below.

While working on the PC, I have turned the updates from Automatically Download and Install to Download and allow me to choose what to install. I made that change in case I was able to figure out a workaround to get the updates rolling again.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

IMO...as long as you download/install the monthly rollups and Malicious Software Tool,..be it manually or automatically...critical updates will be taken care of.  It's not much of a hassle to install two updates per month, since rollups and the MST can both be downloaded via the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users