Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to add Brother printer ControlCenter icon back into menu bar?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDohe

JohnDohe

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

Hi!

My system: late 2012 Mac Mini, Sierra 10.12.6

I used to have the Brother printer ControlCenter icon in the menu bar (at the very top of the screen)

but after a recent update to my Dymo printer software this disappeared.  The Dymo update also

changed a few other things in my Brother printer, but I was able to restore them but not the

ControlCenter icon in the menu bar.  :-(

I have completely uninstalled the Brother software and reinstalled it to no avail: the ControlCenter icon is still not there in the menu bar, at the top of the screen.

I called Brother.  They said to contact Apple.

I searched the Apple Forum site to find no help.

So how can I put the ControlCenter icon back into the menu bar?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

Usually a 3rd party app has an option in it's preferences to show it's icon on the menu bar. Have you looked there?

#3 JohnDohe

JohnDohe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

I've had this printer for over 5 years and all the while the ControlCenter icon was always up in the

menu bar right after the initial installation of the Brother software package . . . until now.

Now, there's a Dymo icon in the menu bar, but no Brother ControlCenter icon.

As I wrote, installing the Dymo update did things to the Brother settings which I was able to set back

but not this ControlCenter thing.

There is no such option in preferences to show its icon in the menu bar.

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

Hello JohnDohe,

The only way my printer shows in the menu bar (when I am not printing a document) is to open System Preferences -> click on Printer & Fax -> double left click on my printer in the list and it shows in the menu bar. If you don’t do this step, there’s no way your printer will show in the menu bar.

Without knowing all of the steps you have taken to reinstall your printer, let’s check a few basic steps (please know this is not to suggest you have not done this step)

Click the Apple logo -> click System Preferences -> click Printer & Fax -> do you see your Brother printer listed in the list on the left? If it's not showing, have you clicked the + in the same Printer & Fax window underneath where your Dymo is showing? If your printer is wireless (and on) after you click the + it should show up in the pop up window 'Printer Name' where you can name it/set location and make sure your drivers are current. If it’s not wireless, I would imagine that you have used the USB cable to install your printer and you would get to the same pop up window.

I’m not always signed in to BC, if your answers are not addressed by another member, I’ll check on your post as soon as I return to BC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users