Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware VS Software Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hienvn94

hienvn94

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:09 AM

hi 2 all i am curious to know whether hardware firewalls are more secure in comparison to software firewalls.
points to consider between each of them

hardware-Advantages
+Doesnt eat up ram
+custom firewall rules filters and services
+web filtering/blocking sites
+opensource firmware such as linksys openwrt

hardware-disadvantages
-GUI
-Some firewall routers only block inbound
-cant think of anymore maybe u can add some

Software_advantages
+GUI
+block inbound and outbound
+application control
+spyware/trojan database
+precise and more relevant information on each port/program and process

software_disadvantages
-large footprint//high memory usage
-once again if u can think of any more add them

would it be worth using both hardware firewall in conjunction with software.
if so is there any programs which block outbound traffic only

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:03 AM

Welcome to BC...

I use both types of firewalls in Windows and Linux. Do I Need a Firewall if I Have a Router?  explains the advantages

of both types in a way that I think most users will understand.

QUOTE the bottom paragraph from that link:

It’s important to use at least one type of a firewall – a hardware firewall (such as a router) or a software firewall. Routers and software firewalls overlap in some

ways, but each provides unique benefits.If you already have a router, leaving the Windows firewall enabled provides you with security benefits with no real

performance cost. Therefore, it’s a good idea to run both.You don’t necessarily have to install a third-party software firewall that replaces the

built-in Windows firewall – but you can, if you want more features.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users