Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shahrul

Shahrul

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

Hi,

I have problems unable to browse internet because primary DNS was set to active directer server and secondary set to 8.8.8.8

if I change DNS primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to AD ip, I will have problems slow windows login, prompt network password when access network folder, login failed when access office report and etc.

For the temporary solution what I do was, when using internet I use 8.8.8.8 as primary when to do office work I swap to AD ip back.

FYI, I have added AD ip and the 8.8.8.8 in the host file.

Is there any permanents solutions or suggestions that experts can help to overcome this problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thatdoodle

thatdoodle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

What happens if you set DNS settings to automatic instead?

#3 Shahrul

Shahrul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

Not able to set DNS settings to automatic because the button is in grey. if I set IP address to automatic, I can set DNS to automatic but it become worse can use internet and office work.

#4 thatdoodle

thatdoodle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:49 AM

Right, from the sounds of things somethings up with DHCP/DNS then. Does everybody in your office experience this issue, or is it isolated to yourself? I'm assuming you're the IT tech for your office, do you have admin access to the servers?

#5 Shahrul

Shahrul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:04 AM

Yes, all users experience the same issue and I have admin access to the servers. is there any ways that can help to fixed this problem?

#6 thatdoodle

thatdoodle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

What is the DNS pointing at on the DNS servers? I'd suggest setting them to your ISPs or OpenDNS's IP addresses. 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Then set the DNS on your machine to the IP of your DNS server and let me know how it goes.

#7 Shahrul

Shahrul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

We did not have DNS server, we set DNS manually at the modem.

FYI, our ISP came in and check modem yesterday and did change the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 , 1.9.1.9 (ISP DNS) and advise to monitor.

Hope it resolve the problem. If you have other suggestion and I open to test it.

Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users