Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows OS's take 60min+ to load, everything else works perfectly fine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeHay

MikeHay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

Hey Everyone,

I've got a strange issue for you all. After much googling I have not found anything similar, and I can solve most issues myself, but this one has me completely stumped.

Here's what is happening. I have a Dell Latitude E6520, (Currently with Windows 7 Ultimate) That takes an hour or more to boot up. But when it does, everything works better then fine. It is lightning fast, even opening computer management or large programs, which usually takes a few seconds, is opening in about 1-2 seconds. Files open edit and save just fine as well. The BIOS screen is only up for a couple of seconds, and it goes to starting Windows.and the graphic does not lag or freeze, it just sits there for an hour or so. Then it boots up. Once it gets to the log in screen, I can click on any of the Usernames, and it loads the desktop almost instantly.

Here's the strange thing. I ended up reformatting and putting a different OS on, (Changed from Windows 10 to Windows 7 Ultimate). It still has the same issue. Later on I was about to replace the HDD (5400 Seagate 1TB), and I noticed, it takes almost 2 hours to boot from the USB drive, which works fine on other computers. I used different brand USB drives one 2.0 and another 3.0 with different OS's and same issue. So I tried booting from a CD again the same issue.

I have reset the BIOS twice. I guess its hardware, but I don't know where to begin. ( I didn't know which forum to drop this in, let me know if there is a better one.)

At this point I am planning on replacing the computer, but now its on principle that I learn what is causing this issue.

Any thoughts?  Thank you all for your continued support and solutions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MikeHay

MikeHay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Well, solution found I guess.

I removed the ODD and everything works fine now!

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

By ODD....do you mean the 'Optical Disc Drive'  ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 MikeHay

MikeHay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:48 PM

By ODD....do you mean the 'Optical Disc Drive'  ??

Yes, that is correct.

#5 alisonmayer

alisonmayer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:24 AM

managed to fix mine as well! able to download here. Thanks for the advice! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users