Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wsappx and high cpu/memory/disk usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

I have two Dell Laptops.  One laptop is 6 years old and is running Win10 that was installed as an in-place upgrade when Win10 first came out.  The other laptop is brand new, out of the box two weeks ago, and is also running Win10.

The fan on the new laptop runs constantly and never stops.  Task Manager shows that wsappx is using roughly 20% of the CPU, 370mb of memory, and 0.1mb/s of disk usage.  Wsappx is also running constantly and never stops.  By comparison the old laptop shows that wsappx is using a very small amount of system resources or is not running at all.  On both laptops the Windows Store settings are set identically  On the new laptop Windows Store currently shows no pending updates and the list of app updates history shows that apps are being updated regularly.

I have read a great deal about this issue but have not tried any of the suggested solutions (hacks) outside of disabling automatic updates in the Store, to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get wsappx to stop doing whatever it thinks it's doing, and does anyone have any ideas why it's using so much of the new laptop's resources when compared to the old laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:40 AM

Hi, well it might settle down as it is updating the store modern apps, you can set this to turn off automatic app updates, firstly though lets see what it's doing. Press the win + x keys together, from the menu select Powershell (admin), copy this cmd into the prompt:-

Get-Process  wsappx | Format-List * | out-file $home\test.txt
Start $home\test.txt (press enter)

Please post the notepad output here.

#3 joshuals

joshuals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

PowerShell returns the following message and, of course, the text file is empty.  Wsappx currently shows in Task Manager as a running background process.

Get-Process : Cannot find a process with the name "wsappx". Verify the process name and call the cmdlet again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-Process  wsappx | Format-List * | out-file $home\test.txt
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (wsappx:String) [Get-Process], ProcessCommandException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoProcessFoundForGivenName,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetProcessCommand

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Edited by Phantom010, 19 April 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

Hi, I don't even have the store on my machines,(I remove it), so I cannot check the process name, have a look for it and substitute the correct process name( wsappx) in the cmd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users