Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 antero99

antero99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

When I uninstalled Avira, many files remained in my computer and some programs related to it are still installed and running. It is like I dind't uninstall it at all. When I open the task manager this is what shows up:

123123.png

and if I open details I have the name of the programs: 7878787787.png

The programs I'm refering to are the ones with the red shield (avgnt.exe; avguard.exe and avshadow.exe). I don't think I have tried everything possible to remove these programs from my computer, but here's everything I've tried:

1 - I tried uninstalling the programs in the control panel, but nothing shows up for me to uninstall

2 - I tried directly deleting the programs from their location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus) but the following message shows up:

"You need the permission from the Administrators to perform this action" (I am the admin).

3 - I tried to give myself "full control" over my files by going to (C:\Program Files (x86)\Users) right-clicking it and then I went to properties>security and clicked "edit". Then I selected my user and selected the boxes to give the full control option. Then I tried to delete the files. The same message showed up.

4 - I tried killing the programs in the task manager, but nothing happens.

5 - I tried closing the programs executing cmd as an admin using "TASKKILL /F /IM /programname.exe. The following message showed up:

"Access denied"

6 - I tried using Unlocker 1.9.2 to unlock the files and delete them. Didn't work

7 - I tried using RevoUninstaller Pro 3.1. Didn't work

8 - I used Ccleaner to clean my registry, but it didn't change the situation

That's pretty much it. I don't know if any of you have been through the same problem, but if you did, tell me how you solved it (even if you just gave it to a professional pc guy to fix it for you, at least that way I know it's fixable). By the way, I checked the programs on VirusTotal and it didn't detect anything, the results where 0/66, 0/67 and 0/64

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2018 - 04:33 PM.
Moved from Intros to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

Hello antero99,

I use Revo Uninstaller Free.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

I then use Filelocator Lite to scan for anything leftover.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite/download/

I would reinstall Avira and then then uninstall Avira using Revo Uninstaller.

Revo Uninstaller uses the software's own uninstall engine so when it is finish uninstalling it may ask you to reboot you computer /  but don't  /  go ahead and close the window and finish removal using Revo Uninstaller.

After Revo Uninstaller is done close it and then reboot the computer to finish the removal.

After Uninstalling it then open Filelocator Lite and search for any and all traces of Avira and then you can manually remove each found leftover trace.

I know it sounds as though this process may be a PITA it isn't as bad as it sounds.

I have excellent results using this old school method. :thumbup2:

Edited by The-Toolman, 18 April 2018 - 04:49 PM.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

How do I uninstall my Avira product?
How do I perform a manual uninstallation of Avira Antivirus with Avira RegistryCleaner Tool
Avira RegistryCleaner direct download
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users