Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now that Secunia PSI becomes End-of-life, is Kaspersky Software Updater as good?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

Hi all!

As quoted from quietman7's Answers to common security questions - Best Practices:

Always update vulnerable software like browsers, Adobe Reader and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) with the latest security patches. Older versions of these and several other popular programs have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

To help prevent this, install and use Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI), a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs/plug-ins which expose your computer to malware infection.

By the way Secunia PSI (Personal Safety Inspector) will become End of Life on April 20th 2018 and will need to be uninstalled.

This product is reaching End-of-life on April 20, 2018, and therefore, no longer available. On April 20, 2018, existing installations of PSI will no longer function and should be uninstalled.

https://www.flexera.com/enterprise/products/software-vulnerability-management/personal-software-inspector/

Now that Secunia PSI becomes End-of-life, is Kaspersky Software Updater as good?

I know I am asking somewhat early, but I would rather avoid not having a reliable Software Updater Program.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

midimusicman79:

I can't speak to the Kaspersky Software Updater program because I have never used it.

I have been using program called UCheck by Adlice Software, the company that also makes RogueKiller Anti-Malware, for a few weeks now, and I like it better than I ever liked Secunia PSI.  There are paid and free versions of the program available.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

HONESTY DISCLOSURE:  Adlice Software provided me with a complementary one-year licence for the "Personal" version of the program to promote their product and also to test it and provide feedback to the company.

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

I use SUMO, works well.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

11 Free Software Updater Programs

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Hi, garioch7, digmor crusher & quietman7!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

There are many similar Software Updater Programs which all do an awesome job within their scope of computer security.

Those two lists are comprehensive and provide everyone reading this thread with multiple choices, and personally, I choose Kaspersky Software Updater and have automatic scanning scheduled at a specific time daily while using my computer.

I started this thread somewhat early so that readers still using Secunia PSI would get some time to switch to another Software Updater Program in due time, although most readers probably read opera's post already too.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

I also corrected the link in Answers to common security questions - Best Practices. I replaced the link for Secunia Personal Software with one which offers several alternatives.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

I'll second the recommendation for either SUMo free, if you are willing to do the updates yourself [and many from within an identified program's Help menu] or SUMo Pro if you prefer the fully automated route.

Even though I generally despise any Driver Updater software and avoid it like the plague it appears that DUMo may actually have some merit.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yes, that is awesome! :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for that as well! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 April 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hi, britechguy!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Looks like we somehow double-posted, but I respect your opinion, however, with all due respect, as it happens, it was usasma who recommended Kaspersky Software Updater.

Thank you all! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 April 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

it was usasma who recommended Kaspersky Software Updater.

And the fact that we each have our own preferences is utterly unsurprising.   I just wanted to let folks know that after playing with a couple of the things mentioned in quiteman7's list, and having seen the original post regarding SUMo by digmor crusher that I personally quite like it.

Anyone who uses this sort of software is going to have some "comparison shopping" to do and come to a conclusion about which they like best and that best suits their individual needs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Hi again, britechguy & quietman7!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful reply(/replies)! :)

Even though I generally despise any Driver Updater software and avoid it like the plague it appears that SUMo may actually have some merit.

Sorry I forgot to mention this before, but that is roughly the same argument that usasma used in favor of Kaspersky Software Updater.

Thank you all very much again for the help! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 April 2018 - 06:29 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:09 PM

Just for clarity, it was DUMo that I was referring to as far as driver updater.  It's a separate program, but it's functions can be called from SUMo if you set things up correctly.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hi again, britechguy & quietman7!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

I would like to apologize for that wrong assertion, and also for referring to usasma, who actually did not even participate in this thread.

Thank you all again!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 April 2018 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users