Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speedtest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

I want to test my internet speeds since I am noticing very very slow wireless speeds.  I was told that various factors could play when testing wirelessly so the best way to determine speeds is to directly hardwire the ehternet cable into the modem.  So I decided to test this out and hardwire into my modem to test speeds of my home laptop (Asus on Windows 7) versus my work laptop (Lenovo on Windows 10).  The home laptop is only giving me 30 Mbps downloads and the work laptop is giving me 160 Mbps downloads via ethernet cable into the modem.  Why is it so drastically different?  I used to get way higher speeds on my home laptop (Windows 7) but lately, it is becoming way slower, even when it hardwired in directly to the modem.  Before, my home laptop could get 50-80 Mbps download speeds on wireless connection, but now, I get 30 Mbps download speeds with ethernet cable......what is going on?

I know my home laptop has a Centrino N2230 which has high speeds.  

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 is compatible with 802.11 b/g/n and maximum transfer speed is up to 300 Mbps

I'm not sure what speeds ethernet port the laptop has, but should NOT be getting 30 Mbps download speeds.  Can anyone help?

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2018 - 11:20 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:22 AM

Google speed test, there are about  4 different versions.of them, they get different speeds.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

Yes but regardless of which speed test, the one at home always tests way lower than the work. There must be something that is slowing it down since testing normally a month ago? Havent installed anything new lately.

Edited by irvineboy, 19 April 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

It might be enlightening to get one of the Linux "Live" versions on a USB stick, boot your laptop off the stick, then run the speed test from Linux. (no need to install Linux on your laptop, just run from the Live stick). That would pretty well resolve the hardware/software question. 

Note that the "maximum transfer speed up to 300mbps" is pretty much unobtainable (maybe under lab conditions in a screened test chamber, but I've never seen anything even close in the real world). Still, the difference is significant.

Antivirus is a common factor in download speed reductions. You might try disabling for the duration of a test.

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Note that the "maximum transfer speed up to 300mbps" is pretty much unobtainable (maybe under lab conditions in a screened test chamber, but I've never seen anything even close in the real world). Still, the difference is significant.

300Mbit/s on 2,4GHz is very close to unobtainium :)

That would require 40MHz channel width, no interference, proximity to the transmitter, one single large file to transfer.

If you have a 2 stream 2,4GHz network card and a little interference you would typically be on 20MHz channel width.
Max transfer speed would then be 130Mbit/s

This is shared between up and download and is usually divided in 50% on each type of transfer.
Meaning 65+ Mbit/s would be a typical value to expect

If you get 30mbit/s it could be because WPA key is using TKIP encryption, or it could because the signal level is so low the network card only manages to connect at a lower MCS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

So, check on your router if the encryption is TKIP. This typically doesnt have hardware acceleration in the wireless chip and will limit speeds to +- 30Mbit/s

If not, check in network and sharing center to see what speed your wifi has connected with.
See attached picture.

Expect half of this in transfer speed if everything else is optimal (no interfering wifi traffic from neighbors etc)

Hth!

tfn

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users