Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive swap question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobbyd40

bobbyd40

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:24 PM

I have a hard drive from my gateway desktop comper that mother board video section went out it was running vista.
My friend gave me a gateway desktop with no hard drive that was running windows 7 i have installed my old hard drive into it and it wont boot to windows only to the screen that says safe mode last know good configuration ect but no matter wich i choose it comes back to this screen.
Question is can i make this work or not a chance.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

Well, gently as possible, no.  The thing is, a good part of what we call "installing an operating system" involves finding out what sort of equipment is on the machine -- how large and how fast a hard drive for example, and what kind of sound system, and what type of monitor, and so on.  Within limits, some of this can be changed -- your PC shouldn'f freeze up just because you changed from a  keyboard with a plug-style connector to one with a USB connection.  But with too many changes, the software won;t run, because the people who designed that software didn't want you to happily use the same copy of the operating system on 894,000 different computers withoout paying for it.

So you can't simply plug your old disk into a new machine and just expect it all to go smoothly.  Of course, you can recall Vista on the drive and some share of your old programs, assuming you have the necessary CDRs or other back materials.   You might not loose too much data,   Or you might borrow your friend's copy of Win 7 and install that.

Wish I had a nicer answer to givbe you, but ...

#3 bobbyd40

bobbyd40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

Thanks

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

In general you cannot take a hard drive from one computer and plug it into another and expect it to work unless the two coputers involved are the same make and model with the same components, and even then it is 'maybe'. The principle reason for this is the hardware drivers are different. At the least you would need the chipset, audio and video drivers for the mobo that is in this computer.

What you could do, probably, since you said "mother board video section went out" is put this hard drive back in your original computer and see if you can lay your hands on a cheap and basic video card which would plug into your mobo. Difficult to be sure if your case restricts your choice without make and model details but worth looking into.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users