Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

micro SDXC card - repeated write problems using SyncToy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Hello All,

I'm really not quite sure where this question belongs but since an SD card of any type is removable I'm going external hardware.  I recently acquired a 512 GB micro SDXC card that seemed to quick format just fine.  I wanted to use SyncToy to copy my music from my PC to it in Echo mode so that as I add albums to the computer over time that only the new stuff will end up being copied over after the first really long run.  Well, that hasn't quite worked out.

The card is formatted exFAT using the defaults.  After my first attempt to use SyncToy resulted in a fatal error after thousands of actions had already been completed I thought that the card might have an issue.  So, as a result I decided to format it again, this time using a full format, which took the better part of 48 hours, which went off without a hitch.

Well, I tried the SyncToy run using the card as the destination again today and am getting a fatal error about corruption, which, unfortunately, I did not record with the error code.  I shall do that when it occurs again, which I feel certain it will.

When running a chkdsk /f on the drive, both when this issue occurred after just the quick format and again since it's been fully formatted without issue, it gets into what appears to be an endless loop for a folder.  Yesterday the folder was different, but the behavior was not.  Here is a screen shot from what's running now, but it's up to 2800 and counting:

chkdsk_endless_loop.jpg 

I also could not delete a file in another folder that was shown as problematic when the SyncToy stopped working.

I'm really not sure what's up here, but the card should not have formatted fully and successfully if it's a "bad card."  But why does what's happening keep happening?

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

@Bri...do the same music files (or one file) copy successfully to the SDXC card without SyncToy?

FYI.. you know how much I love BC, however, In the event that you are not getting answers here, there is a SyncToy forum you can post in: https://tinyurl.com/y8cp2d8v

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

I have not tried copying over without SyncToy, yet.

Since the failures seem to be occurring for different folders on different runs I'm even more uncertain what's going on here.

When I restarted the computer and plugged the SD card back in I got the standard, "Do you want to scan the card, errors were found," message.  It's been sitting at zero percent since then.

After this I may try creating different folder pairs so that only certain sections of my music library copy in a single SyncToy run.  The errors never seem to happen early on, but only after it's been transferring scads of content for several hours.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

You shared you ran chkdsk /f on the drive, have you done any other card error testing? Here are some options:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-check-an-sd-card-for-errors

I'm curious about your music organization (which seems extensive!). Do you have your music on two separate drives and you are using SyncToy to run a merge of both drive folders (files) to the SDXC card? Why I ask, if one file (or song) has been deleted on one drive and not the other, might that mess up SyncToy is the app is trying to run the merge for both, thus flagging a corrupt file? (I hope that makes sense!) 

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

The way I'm using SyncToy (or was trying to, I think I've given up) was to "Echo" (their term) content from my master archive on to the microSD card for use in my Android smartphone.

There are three different modes in SyncToy for established folder pairs (and those pairs can have myriad subfolders in them):

1. Sync - At setup everything from the left side folder is copied over to the right side folder.  After that additions, moves, renames, or deletes on either side will be done on the other side at the next run of SyncToy.
  2. Echo - Setup is the same, but only changes (additions, moves, etc.) on the left side will be carried out on the right at the next run of SyncToy.  This allows you to do "strategic pruning" on your echoed copy, removing whole chunks, without it having any effect on your master archive while also allowing new material introduced to the master library to be placed on the echoed copy.
  3. Contribute - Setup same.  New material on the left will be copied to the right and any renames on the left will be performed on the right.  No deletions on the left will be carried out on the right.

I was using Echo mode because I wanted to cut out certain material on the microSD card after the initial SyncToy run had completed, but wanted future SyncToy runs to transfer over any material that I had added to the library since the last run.

Last night I did a quick reformat on the card and am manually copying and pasting to the card.  So far, no problems.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

use SD formatter v5 to format it.  it's designed for fixing problem sd cards and flash drives.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

mightywiz,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in my back pocket for later.

I now suspect that something's up with SyncToy, as I have had no problem with standard copy and paste of very large chunks of the same music library at one time over to the microSD card.  It all goes over without a burp.

What's interesting is when the corruption occurs during the SyncToy run I have had no success in trying to repair it by the usual means afterward.  I have had to reformat to have a clean slate, as I could not even delete the folders that had become corrupted.

Addendum:   Just snagged SDFormatter v5 from:  

Do you think it's worth trying to reformat using this utility and then trying SyncToy again?   It's not like I'm time constrained on this.

Edited by britechguy, 19 April 2018 - 09:21 AM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

Quick follow-up.

I decided to quick format the card again using SD Formatter v5 just to see if this made any difference in how SyncToy behaved.  The answer is that SyncToy ran a lot longer than it had done but eventually hit precisely the same issue again.

I'm doing a chkdsk /f on the microSD card and I've got what looks like the infinite loop going on with a single folder.  But even the way this started out is somewhat different.  It took a lot longer to get to the infinite loop portion and it found corruption in some locations but continued along in a typical fashion after having done so.

I've attached a text file for the screen capture from Command Prompt of the output of chkdsk /f up to and including the start of the infinite loop part just in case there's something that might prove useful in telling what's happened.

Attached Files

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

Latest updates.   The chkdsk /f ran for hours and then eventually failed (and I mean the program failed mid-stream, not that the fixes failed, as they weren't even attempted).  There was a note at the end of the partial output that bad sectors would only be fixed if chksdk /r were run, so I kicked that off just for the sake of amusement.   It failed much earlier on than the /f did.

I'm now doing an Overwrite Format with SD Card Formatter v5 just to see if it, like Windows 10 Format before it, makes it all the way through the 500GB available for end user use on that card without a single hiccup.  If it does I'm simply giving up on the SyncToy method of getting music shipped over to this card.

If anyone knows of another free file synchronization utility I might try that has the equivalent of the three choices in SyncToy (see Post #5 for details) I'd love to hear about that and give it a try just to see if it helps to determine if there is some fault in SyncToy or not.  I've never had a problem with SyncToy when using HDDs as the source and target, even if those HDDs were being accessed across the network.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

I am not 100% on if FreeFileSync does everything Synctoy does as I only use it for simple syncing. There are a myriad of options in the software. If you install it watch out for the optional software. 

Some tutorials.

https://www.freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

I am not 100% on if FreeFileSync does everything Synctoy does as I only use it for simple syncing. There are a myriad of options in the software. If you install it watch out for the optional software. 

Some tutorials.

https://www.freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

was going to recommend the same here, great program!

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Thank you gentlemen.

I now have at least one additional factor that I hadn't considered but that may be an issue:  the microSD card to SD card converter.  This morning while attempting to format the card again using SD Formatter the drive simply "disappeared" for a second, as though I'd pulled the card out, then promptly showed up again with the attendant sounds from Windows to indicate it had occurred.   I'm trying again with a different converter where the microSD card plugs directly into the USB device that serves as the interface.

I also decided that I need to order a USB 3.0 card reader, so I did.  I would have thought, by now, that USB 3.0 would have become the de facto standard much in the same way USB 2.0 supplanted USB 1.0 promptly and universally, but that has not come to pass.  Even the latest machines I bought each only have one USB 3.0 port, and there are lots of others out there that feature only one.

Dealing with things like fully formatting a 512GB card would go much, much faster at 3.0 speeds than 2.0 speeds, and the unit I bought is set up to plug in and be an "outgrowth" on the side that features an additional USB 3.0 port, USB 2.0 port, and will read the 4 most popular card formats sold today.  If this latest format fails (and it's chugging along nicely, but the OS version of Format took between 24 and 48 hours to complete) I'll wait until I have the 3.0 interface to try again.

I'm definitely going to have a look at FreeFileSync, too.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

A follow-up.

Having a USB 3.0 capable card reader made absolutely no difference other than speed with regard to how SyncToy behaved.

I have now installed FreeFileSync and am running it now.  I will be curious to see if it behaves any differently when all is said and done.  It seems to be moving along more smoothly so far, as SyncToy would have folder creation failures very early in the process.

Addendum:  Am still having occasional folder creation issues as the sync proceeds, but FreeFileSync stops when this happens and gives you a dialog that allows you to Ignore/Retry/etc.  In each instance where I selected Retry, so far, the folder creates and the process continues.  It's odd to me that all errors seem to revolve around trying to create a folder, and they seem to be transient, but occurring with some frequency.  There has yet to be an issue with the actual copying over of media files.

Edited by britechguy, 30 April 2018 - 05:50 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Final Update:   Still no joy.

I cannot understand how an SDXC card can format with a full format, whether the Windows OS format or using SD Card Formatter, that overwrites the entire card with nary an error but file sync functions won't work with it.

Yet, if I manually copy stuff to/from it there is never an error.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 masterHDD

masterHDD

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Never run chckdisk on your external media, you are risking of overwriting your files with data you won't be able to do anything with after. Use Testdisk to repair the corruption or recover data, it's free and open source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users