Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes during POST if hard drives are connected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 THE_GOAT_SMELLER

THE_GOAT_SMELLER

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

I have two 4GB Western Digital WD40EZRZ hard drives. The problem is that if I have one or both of them connected to any SATA port my computer locks up during POST. The motherboard logo appears but it never proceeds and I can't even enter setup or the boot menu. I have to hit the reset button.

If I boot without the drives connected then hotplug them, they are never recognized in Disk Management or Device Manager.

My two SSDs work perfectly. I've swapped everything around and confirmed that all the SATA ports, cables, and drives are working properly.

I flashed the latest BIOS (which unfortunately is from 2013). Defaulting the BIOS settings has no effect. I can't see any settings in Setup that might be causing this. I don't see anything in the manual.

Any ideas? I'm out of them.

• Motherboard: Intel DZ77SL-50K
  • CPU: i7-3770
  • SSDs: Western Digital WDS100T1B0A, Intel SSDSC2CT240A4
  • HDDs: 2x Western Digital WD40EZRZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

Have you tried connecting to all of the different SATA ports?  The board only has 2 SATA III ports, and 4 SATA II.

Assuming yes, realistically I don't think there's much you can do. If the computer refuses to POST at all as soon as you connect any of those drives to any port, than it suggests that they are incompatible with your computer, for whatever reason.  There will be no BIOS updates now.  IMO really the options are either try different drives, buy a new computer, or maybe connect them a different way, e.g. via a network (e.g. a two bay NAS), or direct connection via USB 3.0 enclosures (which may or may not work depending on the nature of the incompatibility).

Edited by jonuk76, 22 April 2018 - 06:44 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

As Jonuk76 said it can be a hit/miss and with older boards or different drives and controllers imo,

I have a similar issue but it varies and the past 1-2 yrs has been fine ,  i run a IDE Drive in a Caddy Rack for my C { Win 7 } / D Drive and run x 2 Sata Caddy Racks for my Storage Drives , i set those drives for Quick Removal within Properties , so i can power on/off at will when needed.

I run a 8 TB for all my Backups and if i boot with that in a Rack it takes at least 3 min to boot and get to login but works fine.

Other times years ago if i forget to turn the Caddy Drives off and reboot the PC it would stall at boot , but if i powered them off then it would continue to boot normally.

Or i would sometimes just remove the Drive from the Rack , Re Insert it and Boot again and it would be fine.

So it can be one of many things that cause issues with booting but its trial and error sorting it out and finding what works.

Jonuk76 suggested NAS Setup and that also i think is a possibility that should work to run all the Drives.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

HDD incompatibility issues are honestly a bit of a mystery to me, and AFAIK aren't well documented.  On my own PC's I've had issues like - PC would refuse to POST if a particular SATA drive was connected with the controller in AHCI mode - switching to IDE mode allowed it to boot.  And I had a SATA DVD-RW drive that could cause a "POST loop" (multiple resets at splash screen until it worked eventually), and I eventually found it to be a cause of other crashes and freezes.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Try an external USB enclosure or connector kit.  They are inexpensive and readily available for older SATA and IDE drives.

At least you should be able to hot plug them after the POST and boot, if there is still an issue.  No guarantee they will be detected, but it's probably worth a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users