Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Folder Lock...now have locked partitioned drives and denied access

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 compbuff

compbuff

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

Hi

I hope this is posted in the relevant section, so apologies of not.

I had an issue on my laptop which only first happened today. I am using Windows 8.1 OS. I use a program called folder lock which I can lock drives or folders should I wish and I have been using this for a number of years with no problem and certainly not the issue I am having today.

With folder lock open I accidentally chose one of the wrong options thinking it was supposed to do something different; I clicked select all and then unlock items, expecting it only to unlock all those not locked but it removed all of them from the list. No matter, I thought it was a case of just re-adding them all to the list which I did. However, on clicking protection off for all of my drives, which was the option I had meant to use, I was only able to access 3 of my 4 drives. Whatever I try to do, the other 3 drives it says Access denied, no matter what I try. I even restarted my PC but without any luck. Those three drives have important folders and files that I was needing to access right now and I am unable to do so or figure out why.

So then I tried the next steps as follows:

- RIGHT-click on the Drive icon or Folder and select "Properties"
- Click on the "Security" tab 
- verify your user name is listed or else add your username by clicking "Add"
On this third step for all three drives, it did not show the groups or user names and was blank, preventing me completing the last step in setting the permissions " enable all" and click "OK".

I have had no other issues with my laptop; no other performance issues and I had run all security programs and had no issues there. I am assuming this is an issue caused by folder lock that possibly causing a windows/windows explorer issue rather than vice versa or just an OS/Explorer issue, if that makes sense. So I was considering uninstalling Folder lock and restarting my PC to see if that would correct the error but before I did so, I first considered whether to do a system restore. I clicked on control panel > System and security > System >System protection and I noticed under the protection settings that the 3 drives in question were there but with missing next to each one. Now this would imply the drives were missing, as in the data on those drives were no longer there? And yet less than 30 minutes prior to starting those steps the drives were all fine and accessible. So I clicked on the tab system restore nonetheless and the 3 drives in question all said the drive is not in the selected restore point and could not be ticked for that reason. Still perturbed, I decided to check the disk management drive under My PC. The three drives are all showing healthy partitions and yet all 3 show 100% free space as if the data had disappeared! I can't for the life of me see how that could just suddenly have happened. 

Pending that I have posted this in the relevent section, I would be most grateful for any assistance. I actually don't know what would happen if I ran the latest system restore point, which is today, without the drives in question, but I'm assuming that would not revert back to the previous time with the drives restored. Am I out of luck and will have to restore the 3 drives in question from the back up saved on my external drive/? Or am I missing something and there is a procedure to restore the drives without doing so? 

Thank you and and any help will be much appreciated.

Edited by quietman7, 19 April 2018 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

If no one replies you can always contact and ask the vendor (NewSoftwares.net}.

NewSoftwares.net also has an FAQ section...Folder Lock General Questions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

I will also take that into account Darkman. Thank you kindly. 

#4 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Edit Update to 1 above

Title of thread should show  'Used Folder Lock...now have locked partitioned drives and denied access'

I also neglected to mention that prior to the problem occurring, I had trialled another product called WinLock (advertised by Crystal Office Ltd) and wondered whether there was a conflict with Folder lock but the company stated that disabled or closed WinLock does not affect the system. So the problem is not caused by it. Folder lock has yet to get back to me on a detailed email. but updating their software did not fix it.  So last night since I was still waiting for a reply and I wanted to speed things up and test the problem, I decided to recover my data with a data recovery program which found the relevant files that I don't have since the last incremental backup 2 months ago, and that I also uninstalled WinLock before reformatting all 3 partitioned drives before proceeding to restore the full backup plus incremental backups for all 3 drives. And that after reformatting the partitioned drives the Username/workgroups showed up this time in properties > Advanced security setting. However, after restoring all backups, I then locked 4 drives, and attempted to unlock all of them in a test, the same 3 drives repeated exactly the same problem I had yesterday with Access was denied and the Usernames/Workgroups showing blank under Properties > Advanced security settings.

Edited by compbuff, 19 April 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Edit Update to 1 above

Title of thread should show  'Used Folder Lock...now have locked partitioned drives and denied access'

Title changed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Update progress:

I decided to this time uninstall folder lock and reformat the partitioned drives once more. This I did without restoring any backups for now. I then decided to re-install Winlock and attempt to run the program using its hide drive features and lock folder and files. It hid the three problematic drives in question and unhid them without any repeat of the previous problem. I then restarted my laptop and the drives were intact and not locking or denying access as before. I then tested locking the drives in question by using the lock folder option and clicking the drive letter. All 3 drives were successfully locked. I then clicked to unlock all 3 and they all unlocked perfectly fine. I then rebooted my laptop again and once more all 3 drives are intact. 

Without yet redoing the tests again with restored backups to each partitioned drive, I would conclude for the moment that the issue lies with Folder Lock perhaps for a number of reasons; primarily that perhaps the drives got caught in an interlocking loop as a result of following an incorrect procedure to remove the drive rather than just unlocking them and subsequently every time I reformatted and then tried locking the drives again and then unlocking them, they would either not unlock or deny me access. Thus perhaps by uninstalling Folder Lock it cleared the problem and if I decided to reinstall Folder Lock again it probably should work fine now.

I will attempt to restore the backups after work tomorrow and then redo the tests using WinLock and then give an updated conclusion to that and then decide after what further steps to take if any, or to keep using WInLock for its whole 30 day trial period and make further conclusions when rather than reinstalling Folder Lock and perhaps considering purchasing it, since it offers more security features as well as system wide than folder lock offers.

Edited by compbuff, 19 April 2018 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users