Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Windows Update, Screen Goes Dark!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MaaD

MaaD

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

After a recent Windows update, my HP 24" touchscreen computer starts for only a few minutes(sometimes, not even enough time to login) but I can hear the sound coming from the inside, eg fan, etc. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

Update!

I continiously tapped the F8 key and I was able to get to the login screen. But, I somehow forgot the password for the login screen. I tried resetting the password by selecting the option to reset. But in going through the process, ie, verifying email address, inputting the code sent to the email address, the screen suddenly goes dark. I have tried it a few times but I am never able to complete the resetting password process because the screen keeps going dark. I can even here the audio prompts!! Any suggestion guys?

#3 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:24 PM

Ok, I was able to reset  the password and access the desktop, but it keeps going dark and I have to  keep pressing the Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B keyboard shortcut to "wake up" the display.

Any suggestions?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

I have no idea what is going on but perhaps removing hibernation will work. Do the following in order

Disable Fast Startup

Change your Power Configuration to High Performance

Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X, command prompt as admin. May be called Powershell as admin. Type:

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Boot the computer. This is the only idea I have. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Edit: I did a search on that key combo and it restarts the graphics card so I have to assume Windows 10 updated your graphics driver and it got borked. I would go to your computer's support site and download the graphics driver. Reinstall it and if it fixes the problem then disable Windows 10 auto driver update.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 April 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#5 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

I tried to find the graphics drivers from HP support page, but when I input the serial number, there's no Windows 10 version to choose. The edition is Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1709.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

What graphics card is shown in Device Manager? Right click the card and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#7 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Ok, is this the same as Display adapters?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Yes

#9 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

Ok.....here....

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_2A74103C&REV_03

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

Okay, here is the problem. That is the intel 965 graphics chipset. According to intel the last OS supported for that chipset using intel's own driver is Windows 7. So, Microsoft is providing the graphics driver for Windows 10.

See this Dell thread for a possible solution. I can't say the Windows 7 drivers will work but if you do make sure you have a Restore Point created before doing it.

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/Windows-10-Intel-Mobile-965-chipset/td-p/4637870

See this Microsoft thread on problems with Windows 10 and this chipset. The thread is dated 2015. Perhaps Microsoft has fixed the issue with an new driver.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/critical-issue-of-intel-965-express-chipset-family/80d43c82-50de-48d3-a0d8-502edf021657

Also this intel thread shows that the Windows 10 is not supported.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/110960

#11 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Wow!! Very Interesting! What do you suggest? Should I try a restore point before the update?

#12 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

Right now in the Windows Update there's a waring in red>>>"Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality updates" And it's showing that 2 updates are available.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

If the computer has a COA sticker showing Windows 7 and has a legible key I would try to find the same version of Windows 7 and use the key to do an install after backing up any personal data you have on the drive. What OS was originally installed on this computer? Is this a business computer as Enterprise is only installed on enterprise computers. It's not an OS for consumers, only businesses.

#14 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

The orginal  OS was Windows Vista Home Premium

#15 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

My daughter had someone installed Windows 10. I wasn't aware that it was Enterprise for businesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users