Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power outage no boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Elchiky

Elchiky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

Hello I got a hp pavilion m9000 I recently had a power outage when I tried to boot up it goes extremely slow and stays on the windows screen. Went and bought a brand new ssd try to innstall new windows on it went on bios on put to boot on usb same thing it stays on windows screen

Steps taken have 3 2gb memory card swap them no change took one off no change only left one no change took all off it started beeping took cpu out to check no problem there did put new thermal paste on still no progress

Edited by Elchiky, 17 April 2018 - 01:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

Hello Elchiky,

Were you using a battery backup or surge protector prior to the power outage.

If not the the power outage may have destroyed a component in your power supply and or mother board.

Are you certain the USB Drive you are trying to boot from is bootable and / or has it been used before.

Plug the USB Drive into a USB Port and restart your computer and see if the bios recognizes the USB Drive.

If so make the first boot from that USB Drive than save changes to bios and exit bios and see what happens.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

Yes it does recognize the usb currently on the windows 10 setup but it stays stuck on setup is starting been there for almost 30 mins already
And no there was no surge protector

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

Do a powercycle. Shutdown the computer. Pull the power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power cord and boot the computer. You can do a hardware diagnostic on the HP by tapping Esc at boot and selecting it from the menu.

#5 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

Restarted the pc tapping esc brought me to the select a boot first device no hardware test option

#6 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Ok it was f9 on this one currently doing a hardware test

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

I recommend purchasing a good surge protector or a battery backup to protect against future occurrences.

If you have a Windows 7 OS Disc available see if your computer will boot and install and if so then install it temporally to check out the computer.

Edited by The-Toolman, 17 April 2018 - 07:24 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Ok cpu passed
Memory passed
Hard drive passed

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

If you do not need data on the drive then do a clean install per the below guide. I don't believe this is a UEFI computer. That would determine if you use convert gpt or convert mbr in the below guide. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

#10 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

Its a brand new hdd just that after the power autage made the computer extremely slow yesterday when I tried to install new windows it stayed on starting setup for more than 1 hour. First I thought it was a memory problem I did took all off except one but still same slow issue

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

Did you do the powercycle I posted in post#4. I think your power outage damaged some hardware like the SATA ports even though the memory, cpu, and hard drive passed. 

Try doing a clean install using the below guide. Because this is a new computer use the convert gpt command. When you get to the screen asking if you are doing an upgrade or custom install select custom install then next. Windows will automatically partition and format the drive. Perhaps Windows is seeing the corrupted previous install and hanging. The diskpart commands should help with that.

The guide would be the same for Windows 8.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

#12 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

Ok I dont know what the problem was I did do the power cycle you mentioned earlier that didnt help I put all my rams back all my cards back like the video card and the Ethernet and wireless tried it again with the windows 10 bootable usb did convert the ssd to gpt just got stuck on installing windows.. I formatted the ssd again but this time I downloaded windows 7 on the usb it went thru fine this time I guess my pc wasnt compatible with windows 10 even tho I was above minimum requirements

#13 Elchiky

Elchiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:51 PM

Thank you all for the I thought my motherboard was damaged
Im going to try to do a regular upgrade thru windows 7

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

I highly recommend you create a disk image to an external drive using software like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper Standard, or Easeus Todo Backup Free before upgrading. If things go wrong again you can restore the image and be back in business. You will need to create the boot disk or USB flash drive that each program offers so you can restore the image if Windows does not boot.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

I know I am coming in late on this, but...did you reset the BIOS back to default?  Two times I have seen similar problems, and resetting the corrupted BIOS fixed it. Honestly, I don't think that is the problem, but it will take only 5 minutes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users