Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone else having problems with cursor freeze on XP?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

Perhaps it's coincidence, but in the past week or so I've suddenly found problems with the cursor freezing on my XP laptop (running AVG Free) and XP PC (running BitDefender).  It just freezes completely, and you can't do anything except use keyboard shortcuts to launch Task Manager, shut everything down, and reboot (of course, not everything will shut down with just keyboard shortcuts!).  I could accept a mouse failing, but for one mouse and one trackpage cursor to fail more or less simultaneously suggests there might be a software problem of sorts - an update, perhaps? - or the dreaded malware, so I wondered whether I was just a one-off, or whether there's something more widespread happening?

I'm not sure whether it's associated with any particular program running, although I did wonder at one point whether Firefox might be implicated.

Edited by alisp, 17 April 2018 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Is Windows Update Service Disabled? Even though Microsoft doesn't offer security updates I would still get freezing around the second Tuesday of the month. I had to disable the Update Service in Services. When you lock up attempt to open Task Manager. If you see svchost running near 100% is probable because of the Update Service.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2018 - 12:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users