Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Freezing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 stereoghost

stereoghost

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

A few weeks ago I had an issue with my PC freezing while trying to play GTA 5. I thought maybe my GPU was overheating, so I laid my tower on it's side, took the panel off, placed an A/C filter over it and then put a 20" fan on top the filter blowing directly into the tower. It didn't work, the freezing continued while gaming. I soon after fixed the problem by updating my GPU driver, but decided to just leave the fan anyway just to make sure everything stays cool.

Everything was fine for awhile then it began freezing again. This time the first thing I tried was to update the GPU driver again. Windows had some updates as well so I installed those too. After installing the drivers and updates the freezing continued. Every time I tried playing GTA 5 it would freeze within the first 15 minutes. Thinking maybe it was GTA, I downloaded Fortnite Battle Royale but this game would freeze within 5 minutes of starting it up. I even tried an older game, I tried Toy Soldiers: War Chest. It took a little longer, about 30 minutes of game play, but it did eventually freeze.

But unlike previously when updating the driver solved the issue, It now also freezes when I'm just browsing the internet. It takes much longer- I can go hours without a freeze if I don't attempt to play a game, but eventually it WILL freeze and it will be while nothing is straining the CPU or GPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if relevant or not:
- Every time it freezes, whether in game or not, audio continues indefinitely.
- Every time it freezes, Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing, hard reset is required.
- When it freezes while browsing, it's never all at once. First the page stops being responsive and then a few seconds later the mouse becomes unresponsive too.
- Before the freezing issues began I was having an issue with my mouse. It double clicks when I single click and the pointer jitters around. I tried every solution I could find including replacing the mouse with a brand new one. Still these two issues continue.

Things I've already tried, concerning the freezing:
- Ran Malwarebytes and Avast
- Used Ccleaner to clean registry

- Ran sfc /scannow: No issues
- Ran diagnostic on HDD: No issues
- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic: No issues
- Tried to update all hardware drivers: None were needed
- To confirm not overheating, recorded temps during last in-game freeze:
  CPU=32°C, GPU=56°C, HDD=35°C

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HZAI3HoBCh7aVKfxofKiT0S

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   253.63KB   0 downloads

Edited by stereoghost, 17 April 2018 - 10:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users