Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing a hard drive to NTFS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stratovani

stratovani

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

First, my computer's specs: an HP G60-635DX. I had a dual-boot setup with Ubuntu Linux on one partition, and Win7 Home Premium on another. About a week ago I was working on the attached external HD, getting rid of some partitions and deleting old data. Suddenly I started getting a grub rescue problem and I couldn't boot the computer. I couldn't figure out how to bypass the grub rescue so I ordered some Win7 installation disks from Amazon. It worked well, allowing me to install Win7, but I erroneously installed Win7 Professional instead of Home Premium, with the result that the Product Key wasn't accepted, and the disk wouldn't allow me to reinstall so I could change the OS to Home Premium. So I had the idea of installing Ubuntu and wiping the HD clean, then reinstalling Win7. Unfortunately now it won't allow me to install Win 7, since the main partition is not an NTFS partition.

That's the basic history of what I've done. My question is how do I go about changing the partition to NTFS? Do I format the HD? How do I go about this? I want to reinstall Win7 Home Premium, but I'm stymied right now.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

You need to use Gparted Live and resize the Linux partition then create a new NTFS partition in front of the linux partition but you will probably need to repair grub which can be done with the bootable Boot Repair CD using Recommend Repair. If Gparted does not allow you to resize the front of the linux partition you will need to resize from the back side and then move the linux partition to the right. You resize by left clicking either the left or right arrow of the partition bar and dragging. You move the partition by left clicking the partition bar itself then dragging. All steps are virtual and will require you to click the green check mark for all the steps to complete.

When using Gparted make sure you have selected the correct device in the dropdown box. See this post.

#3 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

You need to use Gparted Live and resize the Linux partition then create a new NTFS partition in front of the linux partition but you will probably need to repair grub which can be done with the bootable Boot Repair CD using Recommend Repair. If Gparted does not allow you to resize the front of the linux partition you will need to resize from the back side and then move the linux partition to the right. You resize by left clicking either the left or right arrow of the partition bar and dragging. You move the partition by left clicking the partition bar itself then dragging. All steps are virtual and will require you to click the green check mark for all the steps to complete.

When using Gparted make sure you have selected the correct device in the dropdown box. See this post.

So will I then be able to change the partition to NTFS? If so then how would I go about it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

You don't change the partition to NTFS. You will be creating a new NTFS partition after resizing the Linux partition. If you create unallocated space on the front of the disk by resizing the linux partition then Windows should see this during the install and create the partitions automatically.

#5 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Thank you so much for the help. I'm at work right now, so I'll try it tomorrow morning, and I'll post on how it went.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

If you have important data on the linux partition then back it up first before doing any partition movements.

#7 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

Success! Downloaded GParted, burned it on a CD, then booted to it. Took a little while to get going, but once I got to the graphical interface it was easy to use. I minimized the Linux partition to the smallest space I could, then I went ahead and reinstalled Win7 Home Premium. The Product Code was accepted by Win7, and now all that's left to do is customize it, and connect to the Internet.

JohnC_21, thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it, and hopefully if need be others will also benefit from this thread.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update.

When you installed Windows 7 after Linux did you need to repair the Grub bootloader?

#9 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:22 PM

When you installed Windows 7 after Linux did you need to repair the Grub bootloader?

No, I never did. The grub bootloader never showed up. I just tucked Ubuntu into its own little 8GB partition, never to be heard from again.I still have 286GB left for Win7.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

No, I never did. The grub bootloader never showed up. I just tucked Ubuntu into its own little 8GB partition, never to be heard from again.I still have 286GB left for Win7.

If you don't plan on booting linux you can delete the partition using gparted and expand the windows partition to give you an extra 8 GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users