Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom CAT6A cable not reaching 1000mpbs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polp6880

polp6880

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

Hello! I purchased this CAT6A cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0VB4YD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and did some network cables by myself in various lengths ranging from 1 metre up to 75 metres. I'm not testing these cables from my gigabit poe switch to the actual devices (ptz cameras) and on the switch itself, even though the devices are powered up and I can still a very clear feed, only the 100mbps led turns on - the 1000mbps led stays off.

I then tried the same test but using some CAT5e cable I have and the 1000mpbs turns on without any issues.

For the RJ45 terminators I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K9Z4K7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In terms of testing, I only have a continuity tester and all cables done seem to have no problems with this.

I'm wondering what could possibly be the wrong thing I'm doing here. I highly doubt it's a cable issue so i'm throwing the blame either on my selection of connectors or the way i'm terminating these ends. Just in case, here's photos of this: https://imgur.com/a/Tte21

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm slowly running out of options. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

you cut the shielding back to far.  the shielding should end at the back of the connector so the end of the connector crimps around the shielding.  that's probably why.

you crimping around the shielding on the individual pairs is not sufficient.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

Without a full Cat6 capable cable tester it's all speculation, but I would check that none of the pairs are swapped. I can see the color pairs and they appear correct, but can't see the white/stripe pair. The most common fault is the green/white getting swapped with blue/white or brown/white. 

For reference, the sequence when viewed from the non-tooth side should be:

Orange/White Orange Green/White Blue Blue/White Green Brown/White Brown

This is for EIA-568B, the most common. 568A swaps the Orange and Green pairs.

Best bet is to find someone that does cable work, has a full Cat6 tester, and is willing to test your cable for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users