Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth Upgrading This?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Londonchris

Londonchris

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:17 AM

Is it worth upgrading this computer for gaming or should i just get something better?
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/resources/127/1367041067.pdf
512mb, integrated videocard of a whopping 32mb :thumbsup:
mobo is here http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PM812-V
By the time i get more ram,a videocard (AGP) and a new psu (300wmax now) i might as well just save a bit more and get a better machine with pci-e slot or decent videocard already fitted?
Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Londonchris

Londonchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:19 AM

mobo link no good.
It`s a micro-star ms 7071

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

It depends on how serious you are about gaming, which processor is in the computer, how much ram, how much the graphics card and new power supply would be.

The strange thing about the motherboard in this computer is that it only supports up to 3gbytes of RAM and not 4. (If you have a dual channel or dual threading processor each bank must be setup with identical ram.)

What's it going to cost to get it the way you want it?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

Most major manufacturers aren't working on AGP video cards anymore. nVidia has topped out at the FX 7800 GS and won't go any further.

I'd say that if you went with this, you'd be limiting yourself to the old technologies. So, the next time that you want to upgrade you'll have to get all new equipment (because the mobo doesn't support the new technologies).

So the question is...Are you going to be satisfied with this system until it becomes time to get a new one? You're looking at (in the future)
AM2 or Intel Core Duo processor/slots
DDR2 or higher memory
SATA or SATA II hard drives
PCIe video cards, SLI, etc
Larger power supply (to power all this new stuff)
mobo that supports all this new stuff.

FWIW - I was going to wait until Vista (and the new technologies) became a bit more stable before I upgraded. But now it's looking like I'll need to upgrade before them - so I'm on a crash course with the new technologies to see what I must have, and what'd be nice to have in the very near future.

Edited by usasma, 11 October 2006 - 04:00 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users