Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly Can't Resolve DNS or Flush DNS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bodum

Bodum

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer and thank you again for your help!

I have a computer running Windows 10 x64 and today, suddenly, it couldn't resolve DNS. I could connect to my local access point. Other devices connected to the access point could resolve DNS and connect to the internet. First, I tried restarting the computer. Alas, no change.

Then, I checked my wireless driver properties, disabled IPv6 (it was enabled) and changed IPv4 from Automatically Resolve DNS to the following: primary DNS 9.9.9.9; secondary DNS: 8.8.8.8 . I have the same configuration on a Windows 7 machine and it works just fine (again, same access point).

Well, that didn't work. I tried to flush the DNS cache using by running a command prompt with admin priviledges and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" . That returned "Windows IP Configuration" and stayed there. I waited a few minutes and nothing happened so I CTRL+C out of there. Then, I tried "ipconfig /registerdns". That returned the same "Windows IP Configuration". Then, I tried "net stop dnscache" that gave returned (wording may be slightly different as I am translating) "The service is not responding to the control function. You can get more help with the command NET HELPMSG 2186." So, I typed NET HELPMSG 2186 and it returned "The service is not responding to the control function."

I started getting suspicious. This has never happened before. I checked Windows Update and the last update was on 4/10/2018 (a week ago) and the computer has been working just fine the past few days.

I started getting suspicious and I ran "netstat -an" to see the network traffic. This was after I had been disconnected from the access point for a few minutes. It showed A REMOTE ESTABLISHED CONNECTION. It was TCP connection (ESTABLISHED), connecting to the local port 63515 and connected to a remote IP port 443. I looked up the IP and it is registered to Amazon. I can provide the IP if you would like. This seemed like malicious behavior so I also reported it to Amazon.

I am downloading the network drivers for the machine, but will wait for your response before I do anything further. Am I infected? What should I do?

Best,

Bodum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevenpaulr

stevenpaulr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

I'm running into the EXACT same thing. Did you figure anything out?

#3 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Hey stevenpaulr,

I wanted to wait the required 3 days for a response. I am not sure but I think if I post it is a "bump" and that delays the amount of time it takes them to respond. I am still having the same issues, unfortunately. I think the service that looked like it connected to an Amazon service was a fluke because now  there is nothing.

Oddly enough I found that if my computer is on and I restart my access point that it will connect! But if I restart my computer it will go back to "Unidentified Network / No internet access".

#4 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Also, I can now flush the DNS cache BUT I still can't connect to the internet unless I restart the wireless access point after the computer is on. My Windows 7 PC is now suddenly doing the same thing. It has been working just fine the past few days but just started acting up today.

Please help! I need to be able to regularly connect to the internet for work.

#5 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

I resolved this issue. Sorry! I unplugged the router, waited 30 seconds, and turned it back on.

Very frustrating after spending so much time looking at the computer, but.. I'm glad it is fixed.

#6 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 PM

Ok, so restarting the router worked momentarily. I FINALLY fixed the issue! In case anyone else had the same problem, I thought I'd save you some time!

The problem is that the router was using a "mixed mode" 802.11. This can cause devices to get confused and can't connect to the router. See the article in Tom's Hardware here. I switched to 802.11n and it worked perfectly! :)

Edited by Bodum, Yesterday, 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users