Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly Can't Resolve DNS or Flush DNS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bodum

Bodum

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer and thank you again for your help!

I have a computer running Windows 10 x64 and today, suddenly, it couldn't resolve DNS. I could connect to my local access point. Other devices connected to the access point could resolve DNS and connect to the internet. First, I tried restarting the computer. Alas, no change.

Then, I checked my wireless driver properties, disabled IPv6 (it was enabled) and changed IPv4 from Automatically Resolve DNS to the following: primary DNS 9.9.9.9; secondary DNS: 8.8.8.8 . I have the same configuration on a Windows 7 machine and it works just fine (again, same access point).

Well, that didn't work. I tried to flush the DNS cache using by running a command prompt with admin priviledges and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" . That returned "Windows IP Configuration" and stayed there. I waited a few minutes and nothing happened so I CTRL+C out of there. Then, I tried "ipconfig /registerdns". That returned the same "Windows IP Configuration". Then, I tried "net stop dnscache" that gave returned (wording may be slightly different as I am translating) "The service is not responding to the control function. You can get more help with the command NET HELPMSG 2186." So, I typed NET HELPMSG 2186 and it returned "The service is not responding to the control function."

I started getting suspicious. This has never happened before. I checked Windows Update and the last update was on 4/10/2018 (a week ago) and the computer has been working just fine the past few days.

I started getting suspicious and I ran "netstat -an" to see the network traffic. This was after I had been disconnected from the access point for a few minutes. It showed A REMOTE ESTABLISHED CONNECTION. It was TCP connection (ESTABLISHED), connecting to the local port 63515 and connected to a remote IP port 443. I looked up the IP and it is registered to Amazon. I can provide the IP if you would like. This seemed like malicious behavior so I also reported it to Amazon.

I am downloading the network drivers for the machine, but will wait for your response before I do anything further. Am I infected? What should I do?

Best,

Bodum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevenpaulr

stevenpaulr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

I'm running into the EXACT same thing. Did you figure anything out?

#3 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hey stevenpaulr,

I wanted to wait the required 3 days for a response. I am not sure but I think if I post it is a "bump" and that delays the amount of time it takes them to respond. I am still having the same issues, unfortunately. I think the service that looked like it connected to an Amazon service was a fluke because now  there is nothing.

Oddly enough I found that if my computer is on and I restart my access point that it will connect! But if I restart my computer it will go back to "Unidentified Network / No internet access".

#4 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

Also, I can now flush the DNS cache BUT I still can't connect to the internet unless I restart the wireless access point after the computer is on. My Windows 7 PC is now suddenly doing the same thing. It has been working just fine the past few days but just started acting up today.

Please help! I need to be able to regularly connect to the internet for work.

#5 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

I resolved this issue. Sorry! I unplugged the router, waited 30 seconds, and turned it back on.

Very frustrating after spending so much time looking at the computer, but.. I'm glad it is fixed.

#6 Bodum

Bodum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Ok, so restarting the router worked momentarily. I FINALLY fixed the issue! In case anyone else had the same problem, I thought I'd save you some time!

The problem is that the router was using a "mixed mode" 802.11. This can cause devices to get confused and can't connect to the router. See the article in Tom's Hardware here. I switched to 802.11n and it worked perfectly! :)

Edited by Bodum, 22 April 2018 - 09:34 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:37 AM

Well done !

Thanks for letting us know.  :thumbsup2:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users